Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to build a general smooth domain in 3D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

This may be a very basic question, but I really have no clue. I would like to build a general smooth domain in 3D (not sphere or ellipsoid). The intuitive method is to use parametric surface. An example I tried is the following

First parameter: t, range (0,pi)
Second parameter p, range (0,2*pi)

Expressions
x=(1+0.1*(sin(t))^4*cos(4*p))*sin(t)*cos(p)
y=(1+0.1*(sin(t))^4*cos(4*p))*sin(t)*sin(p)
z=(1+0.1*(sin(t))^4*cos(4*p))*cos(t)

I get a domain in the graphics window despite the warning message

Maximum relative error of parametric surface representation is 7.557101504372923E-4.

However, I wan unable to convert the surface into a solid because I get the warning

Output object is empty.

I tried to reduce the range of the parameters and divide the surface into smaller parts, but it didn't help.

If I increase the paramter 0.1 in the expressions, the generated surface looks very unsmooth and teared. This is not normal since my function is indeed very smooth.

0 Replies Last Post 26 mars 2016, 12:11 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Yuliang Wang

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.