Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Liquid-Vapor interface drops very fast

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I have encountered a problem in COMSOL when using the “laminar two-phase flow, moving mesh” physic.
A simple model indicating what I am trying to solve is provided in the attachment.

As you can see in the attached file, the liquid evaporates at a very low pressure (300 Pa) with a uniform mass flux of 1e-3 (kg/m2s). When the contact angle is 90, everything goes well. However, as I change the contact angle even a little bit from 90 (i.e. pi/2.1), the interface drops very fast, which is physically meaningless. I have had this problem with both COMSOL 4.3b and 5.1.

I could have been able to improve it by making the contact point meshes extremely fine. However, this gives me weird values of pressure (absolute negative pressures) in these regions.

I appreciate if you could help me sort out this issue.

Amin

5 Replies Last Post 30 mars 2017, 11:44 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mohammad Amin Kazemi

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 8 years ago 2 juin 2016, 04:55 UTC−4
Hi Amin

I have the same issues with the “laminar two-phase flow, moving mesh” physic in dependence on the contact angle.
Im modelling evaporation of a sessile drop. With “transport of diluted species“ physic the evaporation flux is calculated. The deformation of the drop im modelling with the „laminar two flow, moving mesh“ where the mass flux on the fluid-fluid-interface is coupled with the evaporation flux. With a contact angle of 90° the deformation seems okay, but when the contact angle is set bigger the resulsts get physically meaningless like in your simulation.
Did u solve the issue and could give me some advice? Im using COMSOL 5.0 and I wasnt able to open the attached file because it was saved with a later version of COMSOL.

Thanks in advance.

Lars
Hi Amin I have the same issues with the “laminar two-phase flow, moving mesh” physic in dependence on the contact angle. Im modelling evaporation of a sessile drop. With “transport of diluted species“ physic the evaporation flux is calculated. The deformation of the drop im modelling with the „laminar two flow, moving mesh“ where the mass flux on the fluid-fluid-interface is coupled with the evaporation flux. With a contact angle of 90° the deformation seems okay, but when the contact angle is set bigger the resulsts get physically meaningless like in your simulation. Did u solve the issue and could give me some advice? Im using COMSOL 5.0 and I wasnt able to open the attached file because it was saved with a later version of COMSOL. Thanks in advance. Lars

Posted: 8 years ago 2 juin 2016, 14:05 UTC−4
Hi Lars

The solution is that you should exclude the contact points in the expression for evaporation flux.

In my geometry, since the r-position of the contact point was always fixed, I used this expression for flux:

if(r<5mm,flux,0)

This means that the evaporation flux is imposed on the interface except at r=5 (SLV contact point).

I recommend you contact COMSOL support and ask if they have a better solution.

Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Amin,
Hi Lars The solution is that you should exclude the contact points in the expression for evaporation flux. In my geometry, since the r-position of the contact point was always fixed, I used this expression for flux: if(r

Posted: 7 years ago 29 mars 2017, 23:23 UTC−4
I have brought about my question once again since I couldn't find any answer yet. I appreciate if one of COMSOL employees answer it.

Question:
In the "laminar two-phase flow moving mesh" physic (tpfmm), when I impose a small amount of flux on the interface, it moves much faster than expected. Is it a bug in COMSOL? This happens for curved interfaces when the contact angle (theta) is not 90. For flat interfaces (theta=90), everything is fine.

I have been struggling with this issue for several months. I appreciate if someone can help.

Amin,
I have brought about my question once again since I couldn't find any answer yet. I appreciate if one of COMSOL employees answer it. Question: In the "laminar two-phase flow moving mesh" physic (tpfmm), when I impose a small amount of flux on the interface, it moves much faster than expected. Is it a bug in COMSOL? This happens for curved interfaces when the contact angle (theta) is not 90. For flat interfaces (theta=90), everything is fine. I have been struggling with this issue for several months. I appreciate if someone can help. Amin,

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago 30 mars 2017, 07:57 UTC−4
To address a question to the COMSOL support team, contact support@comsol.com . Please note that this service requires that your license be eligible for that service.
Best regards,
Jeff
To address a question to the COMSOL support team, contact support@comsol.com . Please note that this service requires that your license be eligible for that service. Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago 30 mars 2017, 11:44 UTC−4

To address a question to the COMSOL support team, contact support@comsol.com . Please note that this service requires that your license be eligible for that service.
Best regards,
Jeff

Jeff
Unfortunately, my license is not eligible for this service. I wish someone could answer.
Thank you anyway.
Amin,

[QUOTE] To address a question to the COMSOL support team, contact support@comsol.com . Please note that this service requires that your license be eligible for that service. Best regards, Jeff [/QUOTE] Jeff Unfortunately, my license is not eligible for this service. I wish someone could answer. Thank you anyway. Amin,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.