Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Calculating the Maxwell Stress Tensor on a dielectric due to an RF optical electric field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi There,

I'm new to Comsol, so this is probably an easy problem but I've become a bit stuck.

I'm modelling an optical field impinging on a dielectric micro-structure using the RF module (frequency domain). I have generated plots for the electric field in and around this structure.

I now need to calculate the force exerted on the various parts of the structure due to the electric field. I have done the mef tutorial (AC/DC module) on calculating the Maxwell stress tensor on a current carrying wire in a magnetic field. It would be good if I could get this functionality to work for a dielectric in an electric field, but I'm not sure how to do this.

Any Ideas or pointers? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers.
Alex

1 Reply Last Post 14 juin 2014, 02:00 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Alex Dunning

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 juin 2014, 02:00 UTC−4
Hello
I have the similar problem with you, I don't know how to use the maxwell stress tensor in the RF module
Do you have any suggestion?

Thank you !

Best regards
Hello I have the similar problem with you, I don't know how to use the maxwell stress tensor in the RF module Do you have any suggestion? Thank you ! Best regards

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.