Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

artificial diffusion

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I have a system of PDEs with two variables u1 and u2. I'm using PDE module. I know that I need to add artificial diffusion to both equations to converge. I add -D*u1x and -D*u2x to the flux term. D is artificial diffusion constant.
problem is that from case to case (changing initial state or injection condition) the program converges not for smaller values of D than D0 and this D0 depends on the case.
on the other hand my solution changes a little if I use relatively bigger valu of D than the minimum convergable D. but as I said this minimum varies from case to case.
Is it possible to ask comsol to add minimum convergable artificial diffusion addaptive to each grid block itself rather than I set the fix value of D?
I'm using general PDE module and transient solution in comsole 3.5a.
I really appreciate your help.
Thanks

1 Reply Last Post 3 oct. 2010, 03:26 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 oct. 2010, 03:26 UTC−4
Hi

I can only add that normally you should be able to replace any constant value, within the COMSOL fields by an expression, so also an expression changing with time, or with the spatial location. In the worst case you make your problem non-linear and it might have issues to converge correctly,or worse you make a circular reference and then your stuck ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I can only add that normally you should be able to replace any constant value, within the COMSOL fields by an expression, so also an expression changing with time, or with the spatial location. In the worst case you make your problem non-linear and it might have issues to converge correctly,or worse you make a circular reference and then your stuck ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.