Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Need advice on Optimal mesh generation techniques on 3D layered geometries

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have made a model to analyse wireless power transfer with 4 rectangular coils is attached. To facilitate coupling between the coils iron cores are kept below them. For shielding purposes aluminium sheets are kept underneath. The entire model will be used to optimize the power flow between the two coils. For that purpose at every iteration geometries of the coils, cores and aluminium will be changing. I need a meshing technique which can mesh these varying geometries.

With the current meshing technique which is nothing but a free tetrahedral meshing with different sizes for different domains. This one is running into a lot of problems like failure to respect boundary or edges or failure to generate mesh in cavity. Plus even if the mesh is created the mesh histogram shows a good amount of elements with mesh quality <0.2 (mostly in the thin copper domain). I have tried free quad and swept meshing in the copper domain, but its also running into problems with the complex layered geometry.

It would be really helpful if you can give me some advice and tips of meshing based on this geometry and physics.
Thanks in advance ! :)

0 Replies Last Post 8 déc. 2015, 07:56 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Soumya Bandyopadhyay

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.