Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to give temperature dependent gas properties?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I would like to solve a multiphysics problem involving navier stokes, heat equation and magnetic field (actually a TIG welding problem ). I have some graphics involving the viscosity, density of the Argon gas changing with the temperature. How can I implement these graphic values into COMSOL . Should I change these graphic values into third or fourth degree equations or is there a way to implement them directly. I use COMSOL 3.5a

4 Replies Last Post 6 juin 2017, 11:24 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 sept. 2010, 08:43 UTC−4
Hi Attila,

best prepare a text file containing rows of data (T and eta(T) for viscosity) and then select Options->Functions...
There you define a new function using "Interpolate form File". Read in your viscosity data and use the function
as the gas property in the domain settings. The density does not need to be read from a file, because COMSOL
can calculate it from the ideal gas law (check box in domain settings).

Markus
Hi Attila, best prepare a text file containing rows of data (T and eta(T) for viscosity) and then select Options->Functions... There you define a new function using "Interpolate form File". Read in your viscosity data and use the function as the gas property in the domain settings. The density does not need to be read from a file, because COMSOL can calculate it from the ideal gas law (check box in domain settings). Markus

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 sept. 2010, 09:07 UTC−4
Thank you Markus,

Your recomendation solved my problem.
Thank you Markus, Your recomendation solved my problem.

Posted: 8 years ago 23 mai 2016, 08:12 UTC−4
I am experiencing another problem when I use Comsol 5.2. Comsol does not understand eta(T) as temperature dependent viscosity. Should I use another syntax rule. I am defining an interpolation function giving the eta values at different temperatures, but I cannot get COMSOL understand it. How should I solve this problem?
I am experiencing another problem when I use Comsol 5.2. Comsol does not understand eta(T) as temperature dependent viscosity. Should I use another syntax rule. I am defining an interpolation function giving the eta values at different temperatures, but I cannot get COMSOL understand it. How should I solve this problem?

Andrea Roberto Calore

Posted: 7 years ago 6 juin 2017, 11:24 UTC−4

Hi. Have you solved your problem?
[QUOTE] I am experiencing another problem when I use Comsol 5.2. Comsol does not understand eta(T) as temperature dependent viscosity. Should I use another syntax rule. I am defining an interpolation function giving the eta values at different temperatures, but I cannot get COMSOL understand it. How should I solve this problem? [/QUOTE] Hi. Have you solved your problem?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.