Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Thermal expansion and joule heating

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to model the thermal expansion and joule heating physics in a complex model in Comsol. At the moment I am using just a simple cable, where I want to apply a current source of 900A for a period of time and check the results. I attach the model.

I don't have any information regarding the voltage, so I just assumed a 30 kV source, but I am not sure if it is needed at all.

Also it seems, I have some problems, when using the electrical power dissipation as a heat source.

Please can you check it and advice?

For any question, please let me know.

Kind regards,
Pavlos.

1 Reply Last Post 23 nov. 2015, 12:01 UTC−5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 23 nov. 2015, 12:01 UTC−5
Hello Pavlos,
Your electric boundary conditions appear incorrectly set up. I would expect a known voltage (or total current) at one end and a ground at the other. In any case, the Busbar tutorial in the Application Library includes detailed instructions on how to set up a model combining those physics. That model is found also in the Introduction to COMSOL Multiphysics manual, which you can access through File > Help > Documentation, and also here: www.comsol.com/documentatio/IntroductionToCOMSOLMultiphysics.pdf

Best,
Jeff
Hello Pavlos, Your electric boundary conditions appear incorrectly set up. I would expect a known voltage (or total current) at one end and a ground at the other. In any case, the Busbar tutorial in the Application Library includes detailed instructions on how to set up a model combining those physics. That model is found also in the Introduction to COMSOL Multiphysics manual, which you can access through File > Help > Documentation, and also here: www.comsol.com/documentatio/IntroductionToCOMSOLMultiphysics.pdf Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.