Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How could I calculate the safety factor for mechanics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

How could I calculate the safety factor for mechanics.
I want to have the factor for discussing by the customer.

2 Replies Last Post 16 avr. 2017, 05:06 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago 5 nov. 2015, 08:52 UTC−5
Hi

First of all which safety factors ? Against yield, buckling, fatigue ... ?

FEM is giving you (mostly linear) approximation to loads and dynamics on/of a structure, as well as stress levels (with often numerical "hot-spot artifacts"). You must understand these, know your materials well and then estimate your safety factors.

But for me the "safety factor analysis" are engineering analysis on FEM results, with as much engineering and material knowledge and practical experience as pure modeling.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi First of all which safety factors ? Against yield, buckling, fatigue ... ? FEM is giving you (mostly linear) approximation to loads and dynamics on/of a structure, as well as stress levels (with often numerical "hot-spot artifacts"). You must understand these, know your materials well and then estimate your safety factors. But for me the "safety factor analysis" are engineering analysis on FEM results, with as much engineering and material knowledge and practical experience as pure modeling. -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 7 years ago 16 avr. 2017, 05:06 UTC−4
Hi,
is the relation between safety factor and von mises stress S.F=yield strength/von mises stress ?
thank you
Hi, is the relation between safety factor and von mises stress S.F=yield strength/von mises stress ? thank you

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.