Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Vibrating membrane

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all

I went through the attached tutorial on vibrating membrane and I have one question please. in the results, it is shown that the amplitude of vibration for the first eign frequency is 4.5 meter which is too high compared to membrane diameter (0.5 meter). can you please elaborate more on this.

Thanking you,
Aalim

4 Replies Last Post 29 oct. 2015, 15:59 UTC−4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 28 oct. 2015, 15:37 UTC−4
As you'll recall, the amplitude of an eigenmode is arbitrary. Only the shape has meaning. You can rescale it any way you want.
Best,
Jeff
As you'll recall, the amplitude of an eigenmode is arbitrary. Only the shape has meaning. You can rescale it any way you want. Best, Jeff

Posted: 9 years ago 28 oct. 2015, 18:17 UTC−4
Thank you very much Jeff for your reply. is that means when using eign frequency study, COMSOL will only concentrate on frequencies?! Then what if I want to study vibration (transverse motion in z )of the membrane ? Do I need to select another study ?

Many thanks,
Aalim
Thank you very much Jeff for your reply. is that means when using eign frequency study, COMSOL will only concentrate on frequencies?! Then what if I want to study vibration (transverse motion in z )of the membrane ? Do I need to select another study ? Many thanks, Aalim

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 29 oct. 2015, 03:53 UTC−4
Hi,

To compute an actual response, you need and excitation (and usually appropriate damping). The relevant study type are Frequency Response (usually prestressed in the case of a membrane) or Time Dependent.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, To compute an actual response, you need and excitation (and usually appropriate damping). The relevant study type are Frequency Response (usually prestressed in the case of a membrane) or Time Dependent. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 9 years ago 29 oct. 2015, 15:59 UTC−4
Hi Henrik

Thank you very much for your reply! OK, I will try this studies and let you know my results!
Best regards,
Aalim
Hi Henrik Thank you very much for your reply! OK, I will try this studies and let you know my results! Best regards, Aalim

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.