Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Spiral coil

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I would need to model a spiral coil as shown in the attachment. Does the multi-turn coil domain (MTCD) feature lend itself for the task?

The wire cross section is 0.5mm x 15mm, and the skin depth at operating frequency (60Hz) is about 8.5mm. Does MTCD take skin effect into account, and if yes, would the rectangular cross section cause problems in this sense? Or is the skin effect even significant, when the smaller dimension is less than skin depth?

2 Replies Last Post 4 oct. 2015, 15:27 UTC−4
Nirmal Paudel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 28 sept. 2015, 14:04 UTC−4
Hi,

Yes, it is possible to model this spiral coil using the Multi-Turn Coil domain feature in COMSOL. Since, the skin depth in the coil is larger than the width of a turn (i.e. 8.5[mm]> 0.5[mm]), the current distribution through the turn is almost uniform therefore a good candidate for the Multi-Turn Coil feature.
It is possible to setup the model using Magnetic Fields physics in Frequency Domain using a 2D-axisymmetry space dimension.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Nirmal Paudel
Hi, Yes, it is possible to model this spiral coil using the Multi-Turn Coil domain feature in COMSOL. Since, the skin depth in the coil is larger than the width of a turn (i.e. 8.5[mm]> 0.5[mm]), the current distribution through the turn is almost uniform therefore a good candidate for the Multi-Turn Coil feature. It is possible to setup the model using Magnetic Fields physics in Frequency Domain using a 2D-axisymmetry space dimension. Hope this helps. Best Regards, Nirmal Paudel

Posted: 9 years ago 4 oct. 2015, 15:27 UTC−4
Thank you,

I was able to get a good model using the multi-turn coil domain feature. Now the problem is that I need to implement also Joule heating and ensuing thermal expansion of the winding. Is this possible with the multi-turn feature, or do I have to construct my coil from several single coils?

The problem to me seems to be that with multi-turn feature, the material of the coil domain is that of the insulator, not the winding (copper).

-Juha
Thank you, I was able to get a good model using the multi-turn coil domain feature. Now the problem is that I need to implement also Joule heating and ensuing thermal expansion of the winding. Is this possible with the multi-turn feature, or do I have to construct my coil from several single coils? The problem to me seems to be that with multi-turn feature, the material of the coil domain is that of the insulator, not the winding (copper). -Juha

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.