Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fluid with viscosity as a function of Pressure

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

my function of viscosity is
mu=((0.3839*(p)/spf.sr)*(1-exp(-m*spf.sr))+((0.241*0.0001*(p))/(spf.sr*0.001+0.3*((p)/2600)^0.5)))
where p=pressure, m=parameter and spf.sr=shear rate
Gives an error of non-integral power of negative number which is of Pressure in this case.
I have also tried with (p+eps) but it won't work.
So how to solve it?

4 Replies Last Post 4 sept. 2015, 18:30 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago 3 sept. 2015, 13:42 UTC−4
Hi

You have not told us which pressure "p" your formula is valid, is it for the pA absolute pressure or the Gauge pressure around "0", and if the latter which Gauge definition ?

I suspect that is the issue you are facing (but it might be something else), if you check the materials dependent on the pressure they are mostly defined w.r.t. the absolute pressure pA in the material section, to allow COMSOL to solve for the Gauge pressure "p" which is situated close to "0" to minimise numerical scaling error.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi You have not told us which pressure "p" your formula is valid, is it for the pA absolute pressure or the Gauge pressure around "0", and if the latter which Gauge definition ? I suspect that is the issue you are facing (but it might be something else), if you check the materials dependent on the pressure they are mostly defined w.r.t. the absolute pressure pA in the material section, to allow COMSOL to solve for the Gauge pressure "p" which is situated close to "0" to minimise numerical scaling error. -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 9 years ago 4 sept. 2015, 09:14 UTC−4
Ivar thanks for your suggestion
p used is gauge pressure
so now what can I do?
Ivar thanks for your suggestion p used is gauge pressure so now what can I do?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago 4 sept. 2015, 18:02 UTC−4
Hi

well then if it is really "p" that is becoming negative (something often normal if its "small") and your formula does not like a negative "p" then you should check your BC to see if there is not something in the starting point that might induce a negative pressure "p".
Or move your initial values to a clearly positive "p", or make your formula -p compatible ...

I do not see many other ways

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi well then if it is really "p" that is becoming negative (something often normal if its "small") and your formula does not like a negative "p" then you should check your BC to see if there is not something in the starting point that might induce a negative pressure "p". Or move your initial values to a clearly positive "p", or make your formula -p compatible ... I do not see many other ways -- Good luck Ivar

Sven Friedel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 4 sept. 2015, 18:30 UTC−4
Hi Mahesh,

make sure that your initial value of p is not set to zero. By numerical fluctuations it might always become negative in this case. If this does not help, abs(p). If this does not help either, provide the model. NOte that also 0.3839*(p)/spf.sr is critical, as for the initial model spf.sr might be zero.

Best regards,
Sven
Hi Mahesh, make sure that your initial value of p is not set to zero. By numerical fluctuations it might always become negative in this case. If this does not help, abs(p). If this does not help either, provide the model. NOte that also 0.3839*(p)/spf.sr is critical, as for the initial model spf.sr might be zero. Best regards, Sven

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.