Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Out of Memory Error When Selecting Contact Pairs for Thermal Continuity

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a fairly complex mechanical structure with approximately ~150 contact pairs to which I have been attempting to apply thermal continuity in the Heat Transfer in Solids module. When I go to select the contact pairs, the Continuity Settings and Model Builder windows lock-up, and, after several minutes, COMSOL reports an "Out of Memory" error. This is strange, because I would not imagine simply selecting contact pairs would be so computationally intensive. Moreover, I have been monitoring my RAM and processor allocation, and neither have been taxed beyond 50% usage during the lock-up. My workstation has 32 GB of RAM and an eight core 3.5 GHz processor. Such a simple operation should not be beyond the limits of my hardware.

Has anyone had this happen to them before? Moreover, are there any settings I can change to speed contact pair selection?

1 Reply Last Post 13 août 2015, 15:43 UTC−4
Walter Frei COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 13 août 2015, 15:43 UTC−4
Dear Kyle,

If this message is occurring as you are working with the model and selecting boundaries (and not during the solve) then you will likely want to tune the Java heap size. For instructions, please see:
www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/830/

Best Regards,
Dear Kyle, If this message is occurring as you are working with the model and selecting boundaries (and not during the solve) then you will likely want to tune the Java heap size. For instructions, please see: http://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/830/ Best Regards,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.