Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Creating edge and/or boundary seelection

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to create an edge selection or boundary selection around a crack tip see attached screenshot of what I mean by (line contour/edge selection drawn in SOLIDWORKS). The reason for this selection is to perform line or surface integral around the selection for SIF estimation.

I have tried importing into COMSOL the SOLIDWORKS drawing that contains the edge selection/contour at crack tip (as shown in screen shot attached) , but COMSOL doesn't see the included contour after the import/live link.

i) I therefore ask how can I create a selection be it edge or surface?

ii) Also how is it possible to define an edge distribution mesh such that the concentration of mesh elements is obtained at both ends and middle of selected edge?

iii)Finally I would also like to know if it is possible to sketch on a plane (plane is created in COMSOL) and for the sketch to be projected (implemented) on another surface that is curved?

Thank you
ISA D.

1 Reply Last Post 14 juil. 2015, 11:24 UTC−4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 14 juil. 2015, 11:24 UTC−4
Dear Isa,

I suggest you look into defining selections under component definitions node -->this gives options ranging from explicit,cylindrical, ball, block etc. This allows you to perform other processing including line surface or even volume integrals.
It is also possible to make such selections from SOLIDWORKS but am not sure I know exactly how.

Good luck
MB
Dear Isa, I suggest you look into defining selections under component definitions node -->this gives options ranging from explicit,cylindrical, ball, block etc. This allows you to perform other processing including line surface or even volume integrals. It is also possible to make such selections from SOLIDWORKS but am not sure I know exactly how. Good luck MB

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.