Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modelling a partially submerged paddle wheel

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am a COMSOL beginner and am hoping to get some advice on how to use the Rotating Machinery, Turbulent Flow module to model the movement of a paddlewheel through water at a water/air boundary.

I've been working off of the Turbulent Mixing of a Trace Species example from the COMSOL Application Gallery in order to gain a better understanding of the Rotating Machinery, Turbulent Flow module. (LINK: www.comsol.com/model/turbulent-mixing-of-a-trace-species-12727 ) The example involves building a simple 2D mixing vessel composed of a stationary domain that completely surrounds the rotating domain. The rotating domain contains two bezier polygons that represent zero-width impeller blades.

I am now trying to set up a paddlewheel that is half in a water domain and half in an air domain. I tried doing this by creating two adjacent rectangular geometries, defining one as water and the other as air, setting up a rotating domain in between them, and defining an open boundary along the boundaries that the two share. However, this does not work.

If anyone could help me set up this two-domain simulation, I would be very grateful!

0 Replies Last Post 9 juil. 2015, 11:06 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Don Tu

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.