Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electrostatic and transport of diluted species coupling to an IPMC sensor model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear community,

I am trying to build a simulation of an Ionic Polymer Metal Composite (IPMC) strip sensor, a thin membrane of polymer ionic on witch too thin gold electrodes are plated. It is a 2D time depending model, which output the difference in potential among the surface according to the force applied on its tip.

I already sucdeed (I think, the result looks consistent) to calculate the concentration of cation inside the sample, coupling the solid mechanic module and the transport of diluted species (tds) interface. Now using this concentration, I would like to know the difference in potential coupling the tds and the electrostatics interface (es).
For that I added to the es a surface charge condition in the entire domain:
rho = -z_cation*e*NA_const*C_cation+z_a*e*NA_const*C_0
Where C_0 is the initial concentration, anion being fixed, C_cation the concentration in cation from the tds and Z_cation and Z_anion the valence of cation and anion respectively.
I also added a surface charge density condition on the electrode, because I assume the ipmc strip works as a diffuse double layer:
rho= -epsilon0_const*deltaV/lambdaS
Where deltaV is the difference in potential between the metal phase and the stern compact Layer and lambdaS the Stern layer thickness.

At this point my problem is the following:
The model doesn't compute, "Failed to find consistent initial value, last time step is not converged". I have ever had a look at some other model from this forum and the COMSOL model Gallery (most of time the output is the ionic concentration according an input voltage using the Nerst-Planck and Poisson equations). I would like to do the reverse and I think I could use those equations, couldn’t I? I can't find the problem.
I am a beginner in COMSOL and in electrochemistry so maybe I don’t use these equations correctly. If someone could somehow give me some food for thought...

Thank you very much for any help.

Marie

2 Replies Last Post 18 mai 2016, 15:40 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello MarieG

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 9 years ago 14 nov. 2015, 02:47 UTC−5
I am also looking for model related to such kind of analysis. Kindly, cooperate us.
I am also looking for model related to such kind of analysis. Kindly, cooperate us.

Posted: 8 years ago 18 mai 2016, 15:40 UTC−4
Does anyone have a solution for this post yet?
Does anyone have a solution for this post yet?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.