Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Membrane Deformation without Convergence or Mass Conservation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

In the attached file I deform a spherical membrane filled with water with a force applied across a boundary. The applied force appears to cause a deformation that does not converge, but just continues to expand in the direction of the force without stopping. Furthermore, although I have specified the inner fluid to be nearly incompressible, the object appears to constantly increase in volume, suggesting that mass is not conserved. How can I set up this problem such that a deformation at one point on the object causes a complementary deformation elsewhere on the object such that volume is conserved?

1 Reply Last Post 22 avr. 2015, 02:35 UTC−4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 22 avr. 2015, 02:35 UTC−4
Hi,

My colleague Walter has written two very interesting blog posts on the theme of controlling the volume of a cavity:

www.comsol.com/blogs/computing-controlling-volume-cavity
www.comsol.com/blogs/modeling-hydrostatic-pressure-fluid-deformable-container

I think they will contain the information you are looking for.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, My colleague Walter has written two very interesting blog posts on the theme of controlling the volume of a cavity: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/computing-controlling-volume-cavity https://www.comsol.com/blogs/modeling-hydrostatic-pressure-fluid-deformable-container I think they will contain the information you are looking for. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.