Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Displacement component w in 2D structural mechanics model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm modeling a piezoelectric ultrasound transducer used in an AO modulator. The geometry is 2D. It consists of a few layers of Al and LiNbO3 and the AO medium it is attached to is TeO2. LiNbO3 and TeO2 are anisotropic materials, so I'm using structural mechanics with anisotropic linear elastic materials in COMSOL.

In the geometry the acoustic wave propagates along the X axis and the displacement should have Y and Z components (v and w in COMSOL). However, after running the computation and plotting the results, the w component of the displacement field is zero everywhere. I've tried out different crystal orientations with no success.

I think that the problem might be that I can't simulate acoustic waves with a 3D displacement vector field (having non-zero u, v and w components) in a 2D model. Is that true? Is there a workaround? I think that the computation of a 3D model would be nearly impossible with the amount of memory my computer has.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Andras

1 Reply Last Post 21 avr. 2015, 10:43 UTC−4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 21 avr. 2015, 10:43 UTC−4
I can't answer your question but am curious for my own information: with acoustic waves do the u, v, w displacement components represent the magnitude of the displacements? Obviously they'd be time-varying with zero mean. If so what would happen if they were combined with displacement from steady-state mechanical deformation?
I can't answer your question but am curious for my own information: with acoustic waves do the u, v, w displacement components represent the magnitude of the displacements? Obviously they'd be time-varying with zero mean. If so what would happen if they were combined with displacement from steady-state mechanical deformation?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.