Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

modeling of induction current in a metallic core in inside a coil with external current density boundary condition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I want to simulate induction current in a metallic body inside a coil in mf module. As found in tutorials “single turn coil” or “multi turn coil” are suggested for this case. But in the version which I have these options are not available. I just can work with “external current density” as boundary condition for coil. Could you help me how can I apply current in coils with this BC to get results same as using “coil” BC like following example?

www.comsol.com/model/download/120717/models.acdc.coil_eddy_currents.pdf

5 Replies Last Post 30 mars 2015, 06:08 UTC−4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago 27 mars 2015, 11:27 UTC−4

Hi Hadi,

I suggest you look again. Version 4.3 does definitely have the coil domains. They are domain features not Bcs.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi Hadi, I suggest you look again. Version 4.3 does definitely have the coil domains. They are domain features not Bcs. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 9 years ago 28 mars 2015, 11:48 UTC−4
Dear Edgar,

You are right, it is domain feature. But I cannot see "coil domain" after right-click on magnetic field in Model Builder, as shown in attached picture.
Dear Edgar, You are right, it is domain feature. But I cannot see "coil domain" after right-click on magnetic field in Model Builder, as shown in attached picture.

Posted: 9 years ago 28 mars 2015, 12:03 UTC−4

Yes there are many options missing. I have no idea why. Is this really version 4.3? You may have to ask the COMSOL support.

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Yes there are many options missing. I have no idea why. Is this really version 4.3? You may have to ask the COMSOL support. -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 9 years ago 30 mars 2015, 04:40 UTC−4
My question is whether it is possible to use "external current density" instead of "coil domain" or not?
My question is whether it is possible to use "external current density" instead of "coil domain" or not?

Posted: 9 years ago 30 mars 2015, 06:08 UTC−4

You can assign an external current density to a domain. You have to take care that the current loop is closed or the current goes to an outer model boundary.
For a coil like that in the example it could look like Ix = I0*-y/sqrt(x^2 + y^2), Iy = I0*x/sqrt(x^2 + y^2), Iz=0

This gives a ring current with constant current density. However it is not exactly identical with a single turn or multi turn coil domain.

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
You can assign an external current density to a domain. You have to take care that the current loop is closed or the current goes to an outer model boundary. For a coil like that in the example it could look like Ix = I0*-y/sqrt(x^2 + y^2), Iy = I0*x/sqrt(x^2 + y^2), Iz=0 This gives a ring current with constant current density. However it is not exactly identical with a single turn or multi turn coil domain. -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.