Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

1D PDE coupled to 2D edge load of solid mechanics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a 1D, unsteady, momentum equation that calculates fluid velocity and pressure. I would like to apply the pressure loading to the boundary of a 2D solid mechanics model. I don't think this should be so hard for COMSOL, but I have been unable to get it to work and the documentation for relevant concepts (e.g. general extrusion couplings) seems sparse.

I have been using the general form PDE and the 1D PDE model alone seems to work fine by itself. As does the 2D solid mechanics model with any sort of independent edge loading applied.

This is a fluid-structure interaction problem. The 1D momentum equation should be dependent on the deformation of the 2D solid and the 2D solid edge load should be the resulting pressure calculated from the 1D momentum equation.

When I solve the problems individually, I can plot fluid velocity and pressure versus the x-coordinate fine and the results seem reasonable, as does the 2D solid mechanics model.

I have two solver sequences that are time-dependent, but that only calculate the initialization. One for the 1D PDE model and another for the 2D solid mechanics model. So I calculate the solid domain with 0 Pa edge load first, then calculate the 1D PDE solution with an assumed (e.g. constant) initial shape of the solid (assumed, because attempts to couple the actual displacement of the edge such as y+v or genext1(y+v) or y+genext1(v) have all failed with errors).

The difficulty arises when I attempt to couple the resulting pressure to a follower pressure edge load boundary condition on a 2D solid mechanics model.

I receive the following error:

Failed to evaluate variable Jacobian.
- Variable: mod1.prs
- Geometry: 2
- Boundary: 3

Model 1 or mod1 is the 1D PDE and model 2 is the solid mechanics model. Boundary 3 of geometry 2 is the edge I want to apply the pressure loading to on the solid mechanics model.

mod1.prs is simply the general extrusion of the pressure term from the 1D PDE entered as: genext2(p) where the source of genext2 is defined over the entire domain of the 1D geometry.

I understand that failing to evaluate the Jacobian generally indicates that COMSOL cannot find the variable, in this case, mod1.prs. However, I am able to plot mod1.prs

Any ideas?

1 Reply Last Post 19 oct. 2010, 04:18 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Dan Lo Forte

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 oct. 2010, 04:18 UTC−4
Hi!

I had the same error when I tried to use an interpolation function as follower pressure in a boundary load condition. The mistake was simply that I forgot to specify the arguments, i.e. I wrote "int1" instead of "int1(x,y)", where int1 was the name of the function (not of the branch in the tree).
Could something like this be the case in your model?

Best regards,

Oliver Nemitz
Hi! I had the same error when I tried to use an interpolation function as follower pressure in a boundary load condition. The mistake was simply that I forgot to specify the arguments, i.e. I wrote "int1" instead of "int1(x,y)", where int1 was the name of the function (not of the branch in the tree). Could something like this be the case in your model? Best regards, Oliver Nemitz

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.