Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Saving only the sequence

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

If I make a model (geometry, physics, mesh) but do not solve it, the file size is naturally very small, 20 kB, for example. Solving it increases the size to, say, 10 MB. Fair enough, but if I then delete the solution (Data set) the file size still is 10 MB. Thus, how to get back to the original 20 kB file size, that I could send it to a colleague (or this forum) as an attachment?

BR
Lasse

7 Replies Last Post 22 déc. 2016, 14:04 UTC−5
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago 18 févr. 2015, 05:07 UTC−5
Hi Lasse,

I tested that with two of my recent models. One is 160 MB with solution. After clearing solutions and meshes it is 0.7 MB. The other smaller one is 16 MB with solution and 92 kB with cleared solutions and meshes.

So it is not that bad. A bit mysterious why your 10 MB model isn't shrinking by clearing the solution?

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi Lasse, I tested that with two of my recent models. One is 160 MB with solution. After clearing solutions and meshes it is 0.7 MB. The other smaller one is 16 MB with solution and 92 kB with cleared solutions and meshes. So it is not that bad. A bit mysterious why your 10 MB model isn't shrinking by clearing the solution? Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 9 years ago 18 févr. 2015, 05:39 UTC−5
Hi

You just deleted the data set, or is there some other operator?

Lasse
Hi You just deleted the data set, or is there some other operator? Lasse

Posted: 9 years ago 18 févr. 2015, 05:48 UTC−5
OK

I studied the problem a bit further: Deleting the Data Set does not remove it. If I right click the Result node again, I can recover my solution. Hence, it was never gone. How is it deleted for good?

Lasse
OK I studied the problem a bit further: Deleting the Data Set does not remove it. If I right click the Result node again, I can recover my solution. Hence, it was never gone. How is it deleted for good? Lasse

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago 18 févr. 2015, 06:47 UTC−5
It is in the ribbon under the 'Study' tab. Deleting the dataset is not the best idea because it also deletes the corresponding result nodes.

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
It is in the ribbon under the 'Study' tab. Deleting the dataset is not the best idea because it also deletes the corresponding result nodes. -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 9 years ago 18 févr. 2015, 06:56 UTC−5
Thanks! Apparently I am not yet familiar with Comsol 5...

Lasse
Thanks! Apparently I am not yet familiar with Comsol 5... Lasse

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 18 févr. 2015, 10:55 UTC−5
Hi Lasse,
Besides clearing all solutions (in the study ribbon), you can also clear all meshes (in the mesh ribbon), to make the file as small as possible.
Jeff
Hi Lasse, Besides clearing all solutions (in the study ribbon), you can also clear all meshes (in the mesh ribbon), to make the file as small as possible. Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 22 déc. 2016, 14:04 UTC−5
Thanks Jeff for the mesh clear tip, that helped save some size for my model. One data point in comsol 5.2: for a model starting out at 10.3 MB, it got down to 4.9 MB from "clear solutions" and to 4.1 MB with "clear mesh". Other things I tried past that point only shaved of a few kB. So it seems the 2 things to do are clear solutions and mesh. One button for this sequence would be nice...
Thanks Jeff for the mesh clear tip, that helped save some size for my model. One data point in comsol 5.2: for a model starting out at 10.3 MB, it got down to 4.9 MB from "clear solutions" and to 4.1 MB with "clear mesh". Other things I tried past that point only shaved of a few kB. So it seems the 2 things to do are clear solutions and mesh. One button for this sequence would be nice...

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.