Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

geometry - pyramids in 3D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I want to draw triangle-based pyramids, does anyone have any tips? Currently, the closest geometry I have found is cones of similar dimensions.

Many thanks.

13 Replies Last Post 6 août 2015, 22:51 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 juin 2010, 02:58 UTC−4
Hi

Its correct that (3.5a) if you make a 2D view and add triangles, sqares or circles, then you can extrude them into 3D, by also adding X-Y displacements, twists, and scaling, but no Z taper that you would need to make directly pyramids.

Could be worht a suggestion for COMSOL support though ;)

The only way around I see, is to make your pyramid in 3D by two bolean "-" operations on a solids cube (or via matlab), and then make an array of these if you need some periodic apperance

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi Its correct that (3.5a) if you make a 2D view and add triangles, sqares or circles, then you can extrude them into 3D, by also adding X-Y displacements, twists, and scaling, but no Z taper that you would need to make directly pyramids. Could be worht a suggestion for COMSOL support though ;) The only way around I see, is to make your pyramid in 3D by two bolean "-" operations on a solids cube (or via matlab), and then make an array of these if you need some periodic apperance Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 juin 2010, 06:47 UTC−4
Thank you for your reply. I get the impression this is a little tricky!

Could you please explain in a little detail what you mean by 'two bolean "-" operations on a solids cube'. I want to end up with a triangular-based pyramid, I think what you're suggesting would result in a square-based pyramid.

Thank you for your help.
Thank you for your reply. I get the impression this is a little tricky! Could you please explain in a little detail what you mean by 'two bolean "-" operations on a solids cube'. I want to end up with a triangular-based pyramid, I think what you're suggesting would result in a square-based pyramid. Thank you for your help.

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 juin 2010, 07:06 UTC−4
In COMSOL Multiphysics 4.0 you can create tetrahedra (triangle-based pyramids) and pyramids (with a square base) conveniently as 3D primitives.

Magnus Ringh, COMSOL AB
In COMSOL Multiphysics 4.0 you can create tetrahedra (triangle-based pyramids) and pyramids (with a square base) conveniently as 3D primitives. Magnus Ringh, COMSOL AB

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 juin 2010, 02:40 UTC−4
Hi

here is a procedure in 3.5 (as Magnus said in V4 there are far more geometry possibilities):

"Select 3D OK"
"Create a cube - OK" (I use for this demo default 1[m])
"Draw - Workplane settings - Quick tab - Z-X at Y=0 - APPLY - (check view) - OK"
Select Geom2
"Rescale - Draw line from (0,0), (1,0.5) (1,0) (0,0) right-click (note this is the Z-X plane by default)
"Mirror entity" Point:(0,0.5) Line:(0,1) OK
"Select all (Cntr-A) - Draw - Extrude 1[m] - OK)
Select Geom1
"Draw - Workplane settings - Quick tab - ADD (create Geom3) - Y-Z at X=0 - APPLY - (check view) - OK"
Select Geom3
"Rescale"
"Rescale - Draw line from (0,0), (0.5,1)) (0,1) (0,0) right-click
"Mirror entity" Point:(0.5,0) Line:(1,0) OK
"Select all (Cntr-A) - Draw - Extrude 1[m] - OK)
Select Geom1
"Select all - Create Composite Object - "BLK1-(EXT1+EXT2+EXT3+EXT4)" - OK"

there it is !

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar

Now I believe I have corrected fully ;) no, ineed recorrection better now
Hi here is a procedure in 3.5 (as Magnus said in V4 there are far more geometry possibilities): "Select 3D OK" "Create a cube - OK" (I use for this demo default 1[m]) "Draw - Workplane settings - Quick tab - Z-X at Y=0 - APPLY - (check view) - OK" Select Geom2 "Rescale - Draw line from (0,0), (1,0.5) (1,0) (0,0) right-click (note this is the Z-X plane by default) "Mirror entity" Point:(0,0.5) Line:(0,1) OK "Select all (Cntr-A) - Draw - Extrude 1[m] - OK) Select Geom1 "Draw - Workplane settings - Quick tab - ADD (create Geom3) - Y-Z at X=0 - APPLY - (check view) - OK" Select Geom3 "Rescale" "Rescale - Draw line from (0,0), (0.5,1)) (0,1) (0,0) right-click "Mirror entity" Point:(0.5,0) Line:(1,0) OK "Select all (Cntr-A) - Draw - Extrude 1[m] - OK) Select Geom1 "Select all - Create Composite Object - "BLK1-(EXT1+EXT2+EXT3+EXT4)" - OK" there it is ! Have fun Comsoling Ivar Now I believe I have corrected fully ;) no, ineed recorrection better now

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 juin 2010, 06:03 UTC−4
Thank you for getting back to me, but it doesn't seem to work quite right...

I think maybe there is an error in "Rescale - Draw line from (0,0), (0,0.5) (0,1) (0,0) right-click"?!
Thank you for getting back to me, but it doesn't seem to work quite right... I think maybe there is an error in "Rescale - Draw line from (0,0), (0,0.5) (0,1) (0,0) right-click"?!

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 juin 2010, 06:38 UTC−4
Hi

I tried to copy carefully my operations onto the text file, but as usual it's quickly done to type in an error, but normally you should understand the principle no ?

I'll try to repeat it agin in a moment, but just now my PC running COMSOL has frozen in the middle of a long calculations

Ivar

You vere perfectly right I mityped is (0.5,1), I have corrected above, thanks
Hi I tried to copy carefully my operations onto the text file, but as usual it's quickly done to type in an error, but normally you should understand the principle no ? I'll try to repeat it agin in a moment, but just now my PC running COMSOL has frozen in the middle of a long calculations Ivar You vere perfectly right I mityped is (0.5,1), I have corrected above, thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 juin 2010, 09:50 UTC−4
Thanks for the correction. The line below the one you have corrected is also wrong, it should read...

"Mirror entity" Point:(0.5,0) Line:(1,0) OK

However this results in a square-based pyramid, and what I was after was a triangle-based pyramid!

Thank you for all your help.
Thanks for the correction. The line below the one you have corrected is also wrong, it should read... "Mirror entity" Point:(0.5,0) Line:(1,0) OK However this results in a square-based pyramid, and what I was after was a triangle-based pyramid! Thank you for all your help.

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 juin 2010, 08:14 UTC−4
Hi

yes agin your are right, its corrected, thanks
Ivar
Hi yes agin your are right, its corrected, thanks Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 avr. 2011, 18:16 UTC−4
Hi,

I would like to make a groove structure - a triangle with circular tip (angle and radius given) in 2D. I'm using COMSOL 4.0a. Can u help me how I can draw this ?

thanks in advance !
Hi, I would like to make a groove structure - a triangle with circular tip (angle and radius given) in 2D. I'm using COMSOL 4.0a. Can u help me how I can draw this ? thanks in advance !

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 avr. 2011, 10:02 UTC−4
Hi

For me I believe the simplest in 2D is to draw a triangle, as 3 connected lines, then select one point and apply a fillet of radius "r"

for 3D you can then extrude it to the length required, if you need 3D ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi For me I believe the simplest in 2D is to draw a triangle, as 3 connected lines, then select one point and apply a fillet of radius "r" for 3D you can then extrude it to the length required, if you need 3D ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 avr. 2011, 11:20 UTC−4
Hi,

Thanks. But whenever I apply fillet (with radius) the vertex goes up and I can't control the position. I want the vertex at, for example (0,0) position. Is it possible to fix it.
Hi, Thanks. But whenever I apply fillet (with radius) the vertex goes up and I can't control the position. I want the vertex at, for example (0,0) position. Is it possible to fix it.

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 avr. 2011, 17:35 UTC−4
Hi

you are right that the vertex disappears when you create the fillet, and you do not even have a point, not even at the fillet centre, that you must add by hand, a bit more work. But a simple point in 2D that is floating around without being part of a boundary, will not be considered in the geometry, so you need to link it to the edge via a line

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you are right that the vertex disappears when you create the fillet, and you do not even have a point, not even at the fillet centre, that you must add by hand, a bit more work. But a simple point in 2D that is floating around without being part of a boundary, will not be considered in the geometry, so you need to link it to the edge via a line -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 9 years ago 6 août 2015, 22:51 UTC−4
hello...
I tried to make a pyramid in 3D but in micrometer scale. They are showing some error like geometry error. Is it possible to make a pyramid in micron scale??
hello... I tried to make a pyramid in 3D but in micrometer scale. They are showing some error like geometry error. Is it possible to make a pyramid in micron scale??

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.