Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Extracting Particle Tracing Data

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if there is anyway to extract the particle tracing data so that I can find out what the velocity of a particle is as it passes through a specific plane in my model. Or what its velocity is when it hits a boundary.

Thanks for any input you might have.

Kind Regards,
Jon Welch

6 Replies Last Post 2 sept. 2009, 02:21 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 août 2009, 04:10 UTC−4
Hi

I'm not sure I understand correctly your need, but are you not just looking after the "ut" the velocity along "x" at a given point/plane ? or a combination such as sqrt(ut^2+vt^2+wt^2) ?

Ivar
Hi I'm not sure I understand correctly your need, but are you not just looking after the "ut" the velocity along "x" at a given point/plane ? or a combination such as sqrt(ut^2+vt^2+wt^2) ? Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 août 2009, 09:53 UTC−4
Hi

Perhaps what you suggest is all I need, but let me explain the situation a little more. I have a 3D model in which I have a collection of particles (~30) that are under the influence of an electromagnetic force. My interest is to find the velocity and position of the particles when they hit a specific plane (in this case it would be a boundary that is held at some potential V).

I am really looking for a way to extract this data for each of the different particles. I am just not sure how to actually go about accessing the numerical data for a specific particle.

Thanks again for your time.

Kind Regards,
Jon
Hi Perhaps what you suggest is all I need, but let me explain the situation a little more. I have a 3D model in which I have a collection of particles (~30) that are under the influence of an electromagnetic force. My interest is to find the velocity and position of the particles when they hit a specific plane (in this case it would be a boundary that is held at some potential V). I am really looking for a way to extract this data for each of the different particles. I am just not sure how to actually go about accessing the numerical data for a specific particle. Thanks again for your time. Kind Regards, Jon

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 août 2009, 10:35 UTC−4
Hi

Anyone have any more ideas on this? I found a way to get the (u,v,w) components for a particle by setting the expression for the line coloring. However, I would really like the exact numerical answer since the coloring isn't very specific.

Thanks,
Jon
Hi Anyone have any more ideas on this? I found a way to get the (u,v,w) components for a particle by setting the expression for the line coloring. However, I would really like the exact numerical answer since the coloring isn't very specific. Thanks, Jon

Posted: 1 decade ago 31 août 2009, 15:43 UTC−4
I don't know if this will work in this situation but if you can plot the trajectories, you may be able to export the plot data as an ASCII file from which you can perhaps calculate the quantities you need.
I don't know if this will work in this situation but if you can plot the trajectories, you may be able to export the plot data as an ASCII file from which you can perhaps calculate the quantities you need.

Posted: 1 decade ago 31 août 2009, 16:31 UTC−4
Hi,

Thats a great suggestion. I can export the line coloring data as an ascii, so by giving an expression for the line color for a specific component of the velocity I can export that component and extract the data there. Its a bit of a pain since it requires 3 exports per particle trace, would be nice of COMSOL had a way to extract all 3 components at the same time but for now this will have to work =).

Thanks again for the input.

Kind Regards,
Jon
Hi, Thats a great suggestion. I can export the line coloring data as an ascii, so by giving an expression for the line color for a specific component of the velocity I can export that component and extract the data there. Its a bit of a pain since it requires 3 exports per particle trace, would be nice of COMSOL had a way to extract all 3 components at the same time but for now this will have to work =). Thanks again for the input. Kind Regards, Jon

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 sept. 2009, 02:21 UTC−4
Hi

I have aready suggeted to COMSOL support that the postprocessing windows should accept arrays or vectors of variables, as COMSOL request most functions to be "array and vector" compatible they could apply it more systematically themselves. Typially I'm interested in u,v,w of a series of points, it's 3 extractions then reassemble of the array, not very time efficient for us "users"

If we are several to suggest this via "support" it might put some pressure on them ;)

jut the same for the GUI inputs fields that can accept vectors, they could "tag" them with a "[" "]" as txt before and after the field, reminding us users that we might use a vector and not just a scalar

Ivar
Hi I have aready suggeted to COMSOL support that the postprocessing windows should accept arrays or vectors of variables, as COMSOL request most functions to be "array and vector" compatible they could apply it more systematically themselves. Typially I'm interested in u,v,w of a series of points, it's 3 extractions then reassemble of the array, not very time efficient for us "users" If we are several to suggest this via "support" it might put some pressure on them ;) jut the same for the GUI inputs fields that can accept vectors, they could "tag" them with a "[" "]" as txt before and after the field, reminding us users that we might use a vector and not just a scalar Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.