Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Linear Buckling (equation question)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to model linear buckling on a cylindrical geometry. I am using the "Bracket Linear Buckling" file as a guide and trying to reverse engineer the physics into my model. Here are a few things I don't really understand.

First, under definitions the tutorial calls for an analytic function and the expression is (F*cos((x+0.3)/5e-2*pi)). Where does this equations come from? is it exclusive to this problem? I have gone through linear buckling in my text books and can't seem to find where that comes from.

Second, the physics used in the tutorial is solid mechanics. Under boundary load the tutorial inputs the following load: load(P0,Z)*(Y>-0.3)+0 . I understand that the load(P0,Z) inputs P0 and Z to be in the equation defined under the analytic function. However, I don't understand what (Y>-0.3)+0 is doing. furthermore, Is this also a expression defined exclusively for the tutorial model?

I am new to the world of inputting equations into my physics. Thanks in advance for the help

0 Replies Last Post 1 janv. 2015, 02:49 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Christel Italiaie

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.