Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Equation editing in Structural physics in Comsol 4.0

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Everyone,

I was exploring comsol 4.0. I found that the GUI is good but some functionalities in 3.5a are removed.

I wanted to edit the Structural physics equation system to suit my PDE. In comsol 3.5a, I could do it by going to Physics menu>Equation system. In comsol 4.0, I couldn;t find the option. Does anyone know how to do it?

One more question, how to use the unitless system in comsol 4.0?

Thanks in advance,
Rakesh

14 Replies Last Post 5 mars 2015, 12:59 UTC−5

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 mai 2010, 14:58 UTC−4
Enable this option: cl.ly/101N
Enable this option: http://cl.ly/101N

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 mai 2010, 15:04 UTC−4
Thanks for the reply Danial.
I have already enabled this option, but unable to find the underlying equation setting (in general/coefficient form) in structural physics.
Pls let me know, where to find these equation settings.

Thanks,
Rakesh
Thanks for the reply Danial. I have already enabled this option, but unable to find the underlying equation setting (in general/coefficient form) in structural physics. Pls let me know, where to find these equation settings. Thanks, Rakesh

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 mai 2010, 15:06 UTC−4
I got the equation settings.
It was hiding below the material model.

thanks,
Rakesh
I got the equation settings. It was hiding below the material model. thanks, Rakesh

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 nov. 2011, 10:57 UTC−5

Enable this option: cl.ly/101N

Hi,

The link above is missing at this time.
I have an electromagnetic simulation where I would like to change the wave equation in a domain (I'd like to add a source term) and have COMSOL work with that.

In the attached image you can see the Model Builder tree with the Wave Equation item selected. To the right there's the equation. I'd like to change it so instead of the equality to zero, it would be equal to something else.

I found the "Equation View" item (also shown in the image), however, I couldn't find a textbox with the wave equation. I started reading about "weak from" but I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for.

I'd appreciate some direction.

Thanks
[QUOTE] Enable this option: http://cl.ly/101N [/QUOTE] Hi, The link above is missing at this time. I have an electromagnetic simulation where I would like to change the wave equation in a domain (I'd like to add a source term) and have COMSOL work with that. In the attached image you can see the Model Builder tree with the Wave Equation item selected. To the right there's the equation. I'd like to change it so instead of the equality to zero, it would be equal to something else. I found the "Equation View" item (also shown in the image), however, I couldn't find a textbox with the wave equation. I started reading about "weak from" but I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for. I'd appreciate some direction. Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 nov. 2011, 11:33 UTC−5
Hi,

Enable equation view using the icon right to the the model builder tab.
Pls find the attached image for more details.

I hope this answer your question. If you still do not resolve the problem,
share your file.

Rakesh
Hi, Enable equation view using the icon right to the the model builder tab. Pls find the attached image for more details. I hope this answer your question. If you still do not resolve the problem, share your file. Rakesh

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 nov. 2011, 05:49 UTC−5
Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply. I found what you were talking about, however, I do not understand where (or even IF) I can modify the equation.

I'll rephrase: in the attached image the equation is marked in green, to the right. I would like to add an arbitrary source term to it, as depicted. To my understanding, I should click "Equation View" (marked in cyan to the left) and modify something there, but, I do not know what. Nothing seems similar to an equation, nor to an intuitive "curl(curl(E)) - ... = 0" definition.
I've been looking in the COMSOL documentation, but it's so vast I can't sort through it..

Any help is appreciated.

Hi, Thank you for the quick reply. I found what you were talking about, however, I do not understand where (or even IF) I can modify the equation. I'll rephrase: in the attached image the equation is marked in green, to the right. I would like to add an arbitrary source term to it, as depicted. To my understanding, I should click "Equation View" (marked in cyan to the left) and modify something there, but, I do not know what. Nothing seems similar to an equation, nor to an intuitive "curl(curl(E)) - ... = 0" definition. I've been looking in the COMSOL documentation, but it's so vast I can't sort through it.. Any help is appreciated.

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 nov. 2011, 09:38 UTC−5
Hi,

I don't have emf physics license.
Please generate the complete report of the comsol model and share.

-Rakesh
Hi, I don't have emf physics license. Please generate the complete report of the comsol model and share. -Rakesh

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 nov. 2011, 10:23 UTC−5
Hi,

Attached is the complete report. The equation I'm looking to modify is in the image in my recent post, as explained there. The material dispersion function "nektp()" is currently irrelevant, so pay no attention to it.

Eventually, the model should simulate second-harmonic generation in a nonlinear crystal. The basic idea is to have two, coupled wave equations in the given domain, one for the fundamental (frequency omega) and one for the second harmonic (2*omega). Therefore, I would create two "Electromagnetic Waves" physics, and add source terms (polarization source) to each of the wave equations, coupling them to one another.

As stated previously, I am unsure if it is possible to modify the wave equation at all. I read about "weak form" but still can't find something familiar in the whole list of expressions (see report). I could rewrite the whole EMW model with the Mathematics/Helmholtz model, but that seems silly.

Thank you for your assistance.
Hi, Attached is the complete report. The equation I'm looking to modify is in the image in my recent post, as explained there. The material dispersion function "nektp()" is currently irrelevant, so pay no attention to it. Eventually, the model should simulate second-harmonic generation in a nonlinear crystal. The basic idea is to have two, coupled wave equations in the given domain, one for the fundamental (frequency omega) and one for the second harmonic (2*omega). Therefore, I would create two "Electromagnetic Waves" physics, and add source terms (polarization source) to each of the wave equations, coupling them to one another. As stated previously, I am unsure if it is possible to modify the wave equation at all. I read about "weak form" but still can't find something familiar in the whole list of expressions (see report). I could rewrite the whole EMW model with the Mathematics/Helmholtz model, but that seems silly. Thank you for your assistance.

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 mai 2012, 07:00 UTC−4

Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply. I found what you were talking about, however, I do not understand where (or even IF) I can modify the equation.

I'll rephrase: in the attached image the equation is marked in green, to the right. I would like to add an arbitrary source term to it, as depicted. To my understanding, I should click "Equation View" (marked in cyan to the left) and modify something there, but, I do not know what. Nothing seems similar to an equation, nor to an intuitive "curl(curl(E)) - ... = 0" definition.
I've been looking in the COMSOL documentation, but it's so vast I can't sort through it..

Any help is appreciated.

The vector equation must be divided into components to be able to implement in COMSOL. So what you see in the equation system contains partial derivatives rather than vectorial operators. It is not difficult to identify the components of Maxwell's equations correspondingly.

Cheers!
[QUOTE] Hi, Thank you for the quick reply. I found what you were talking about, however, I do not understand where (or even IF) I can modify the equation. I'll rephrase: in the attached image the equation is marked in green, to the right. I would like to add an arbitrary source term to it, as depicted. To my understanding, I should click "Equation View" (marked in cyan to the left) and modify something there, but, I do not know what. Nothing seems similar to an equation, nor to an intuitive "curl(curl(E)) - ... = 0" definition. I've been looking in the COMSOL documentation, but it's so vast I can't sort through it.. Any help is appreciated. [/QUOTE] The vector equation must be divided into components to be able to implement in COMSOL. So what you see in the equation system contains partial derivatives rather than vectorial operators. It is not difficult to identify the components of Maxwell's equations correspondingly. Cheers!

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 août 2013, 04:31 UTC−4
Why can I find it in COMSOL 4.2a, can you help me?
Why can I find it in COMSOL 4.2a, can you help me?

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 janv. 2014, 14:14 UTC−5
I am facing the same problem.
How can I edit the the equation as it was in v3.5?
it was available in v3.5 through (physics>equation system>...)
I am facing the same problem. How can I edit the the equation as it was in v3.5? it was available in v3.5 through (physics>equation system>...)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 janv. 2014, 01:18 UTC−5
Click on the eye symbol just below the model builder tab.
Click on the eye symbol just below the model builder tab.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 janv. 2014, 01:43 UTC−5
Thank you!
Thank you!

Posted: 9 years ago 5 mars 2015, 12:59 UTC−5
Hi Danial

You can define a global equation and frame the equation by yourself and using this equation ,you can solve the model. The global equation can be defined under Physics tab-Global equations

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Hi Danial You can define a global equation and frame the equation by yourself and using this equation ,you can solve the model. The global equation can be defined under Physics tab-Global equations Hope this helps! Cheers

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.