Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

no azimuthal mode number in beam EM beam envelope ?

Sebastian Starosielec

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a study of electromagnetic resonator modes of an axial symmetric resonator in the wave optics module.

To fully exploit all symmetries and save computational cost, a 2D-axi model is used geometry. However my target resonator mode is symmetric up to a phase modulation in the fields.
With the Electromagnetic Waves, Frequency Domain (ewfd) physics, I can specify this phase-symmetry by the azimuthal mode number (m), which gives me the desired resonator modes (for m=1).

So far so good.

From the resonator mode I also know the wave vector (along the axial axis), so to reduce the mesh density I would like to use the Beam Envelope (ewbe) physics.
However ewbe does not account for the axial phase-symmetry, i.e. it won't let me specify an m (implying it only solves for m=0).

Is there a way to change the PDE of ewbe to account for an m != 0, like ewfd does ?

0 Replies Last Post 4 déc. 2014, 05:43 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Sebastian Starosielec

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.