Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mapped mesh in 3D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

1-I trying to mapped mesh a solid in 3D, but it sends me an error message "Error: 7161:The mass matrix is zero" when i try the eigenfrequency, and yet if the default mesh does not send it.

2-how can I set a damping coefficient?

Achraf

3 Replies Last Post 14 avr. 2013, 17:18 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 avr. 2010, 12:09 UTC−4

Dear all,

1- I'm trying to mapped mesh a solid in 3D, but it sends me an error message "Error: 7161:The mass matrix is zero" when I try the eigenfrequency, and yet if the default mesh does not send it.

2-how can I set a damping coefficient?

Achraf

[QUOTE] Dear all, 1- I'm trying to mapped mesh a solid in 3D, but it sends me an error message "Error: 7161:The mass matrix is zero" when I try the eigenfrequency, and yet if the default mesh does not send it. 2-how can I set a damping coefficient? Achraf [/QUOTE]

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 avr. 2010, 14:21 UTC−4
Hi

for me the mapped mesh is mot pobably not the reason for mass matrix is zero (except perhaps if part of the volume is stilll not fully meshed, try to hit the "select remaining" noting should light up), incomplete BC are also potential causes.

For the damping you have the volumic ones and, depending on the application mode therr might be also on the boundary conditons, pick what corresponds to your case. For 3D structural, there are a couple of section related to how to select the damping, as this as a great influence on the resonant peaks, and these are often frequency dependet too, check the doc, in particular the structural

Good luck
Ivar

Hi for me the mapped mesh is mot pobably not the reason for mass matrix is zero (except perhaps if part of the volume is stilll not fully meshed, try to hit the "select remaining" noting should light up), incomplete BC are also potential causes. For the damping you have the volumic ones and, depending on the application mode therr might be also on the boundary conditons, pick what corresponds to your case. For 3D structural, there are a couple of section related to how to select the damping, as this as a great influence on the resonant peaks, and these are often frequency dependet too, check the doc, in particular the structural Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 avr. 2013, 17:18 UTC−4
Hi

This problem arises when you have a model with sharp edges. Try filing your edges with reasonable fillet radii.

Then apply a mapped mesh to one end face of your model and sweep that mesh along your model.

Problem will be resolved.

Have fun!
Hi This problem arises when you have a model with sharp edges. Try filing your edges with reasonable fillet radii. Then apply a mapped mesh to one end face of your model and sweep that mesh along your model. Problem will be resolved. Have fun!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.