Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Points on curve

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello
I am new to comsol and I am trying to figure out how to put a point on a curve?

Thank you

3 Replies Last Post 21 avr. 2010, 16:43 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 avr. 2010, 14:17 UTC−4
Hi

if its the tick marks, it's in the plot window under the palette, select the line and then update marker. Note that in V3.5a only one point of 2 are marked, not all, and that do not know howto change ;)

But I might have missed the true question, if so, pls come bakc

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi if its the tick marks, it's in the plot window under the palette, select the line and then update marker. Note that in V3.5a only one point of 2 are marked, not all, and that do not know howto change ;) But I might have missed the true question, if so, pls come bakc Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 avr. 2010, 15:56 UTC−4
Thank you Ivar. I might be misunderstanding your suggestion, but I do not think it addresses my question. I have a 2D model (axi-sym) of half of a spherical shell. The inner wall of the shell is a curve and is described by its center point and the two ends of the arc. I want to add additional points along the curve which I'd like to use to apply boundary conditions to. Is there a way for me to simply add one/multiple points along the arc? (say in draw mode?)
Thank you Ivar. I might be misunderstanding your suggestion, but I do not think it addresses my question. I have a 2D model (axi-sym) of half of a spherical shell. The inner wall of the shell is a curve and is described by its center point and the two ends of the arc. I want to add additional points along the curve which I'd like to use to apply boundary conditions to. Is there a way for me to simply add one/multiple points along the arc? (say in draw mode?)

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 avr. 2010, 16:43 UTC−4
Hi
Indeed, then you want what I call "hard points" on the model boundaries (edges) either for node definition or for as you state boundary point loads (these are not good practice as point wise nodes loads are singularities but in many cases they are ok). I use mostly surface loads, in 2D that means line loads as lines are in fact surfaces with default "thickness" or depth of 1[m]

You can define points in the 3D/2D (as you can make lines and shapes), or you make your curve as segments, or you split your volume with lines. In 2D COMSOL geometry the lines might overlap the shapes, when you go from geoemtry mode to assembled geometry (in matlab the geomanalyse() command), extra points are added at intesections, and geoemtry not definable are dropped (such as extra single lines attached to no surface in 2D).

you can also "split" select shape and extra lines and "coerce to solid" you shapes to regroup them.

If you use "assembly mode" the geomanalyse is not behaving the same way and you must "group" = "cource to solid" the parts you want considered as one entity, before you go to the boundary or edge definition GUI.

I often cut my volumes/areas with lines to enforce symmetry (nodes will line up on the interiour edges before they fill the volumes), or to make metrology boundaries. These are mostly then "interiour" boundaries with "continuity" conditions, the few extra boundaries seldom poses a problem to the complexity of the model.

hope this is better then,
Good luck
Ivar

Hi Indeed, then you want what I call "hard points" on the model boundaries (edges) either for node definition or for as you state boundary point loads (these are not good practice as point wise nodes loads are singularities but in many cases they are ok). I use mostly surface loads, in 2D that means line loads as lines are in fact surfaces with default "thickness" or depth of 1[m] You can define points in the 3D/2D (as you can make lines and shapes), or you make your curve as segments, or you split your volume with lines. In 2D COMSOL geometry the lines might overlap the shapes, when you go from geoemtry mode to assembled geometry (in matlab the geomanalyse() command), extra points are added at intesections, and geoemtry not definable are dropped (such as extra single lines attached to no surface in 2D). you can also "split" select shape and extra lines and "coerce to solid" you shapes to regroup them. If you use "assembly mode" the geomanalyse is not behaving the same way and you must "group" = "cource to solid" the parts you want considered as one entity, before you go to the boundary or edge definition GUI. I often cut my volumes/areas with lines to enforce symmetry (nodes will line up on the interiour edges before they fill the volumes), or to make metrology boundaries. These are mostly then "interiour" boundaries with "continuity" conditions, the few extra boundaries seldom poses a problem to the complexity of the model. hope this is better then, Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.