Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Charge Distribution in Semiconductor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm trying to model the distribution of free electrons in a thin slab of n-type silicon placed near a fixed (negative) charge. I'm using electrostatics and transport of diluted species. My hope is for the electrons in the slab to rearrange in reaction to the electric field -- they should move away from the fixed, negative charge -- and thereby change perturb that field nearby.

However, I'm having trouble getting the electron concentration to respond in any reasonable way. My simulation only solves if I specify concentration boundary conditions to the boundaries of the slab of silicon, but when I set them to be equal the electron concentration in the interior is homogeneous. Are there specific boundary conditions I should be using, or is it possible I'm going about this in entirely the wrong way? I'm attaching my model in case it is helpful.

Thanks!
Will

0 Replies Last Post 5 oct. 2014, 21:47 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello William Whitney

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.