Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Virtual Family (Anatomical Models for Electromagnetic Exposure)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Does anyone have experience with the Virtual Family models:
www.itis.ethz.ch/services/anatomical-models/overview/

They are human anatomical models developed for the evaluation of electromagnetic exposure, as discussed in this publication:
iopscience.iop.org/0031-9155/55/2/N01

I think the Virtual Family is the best such anatomical models I've come across for electromagnetic exposure modeling, but they don't seem to be available yet for use with an FEM solver like COMSOL. (I'm contacting them just to check -- but their website suggests that at the moment the data is only compatible with the simulation platforms Sim4Life and Semcad X.) Even if they don't have full CAD versions available for their human models yet, I'm guessing the data might be available in raw voxel format of some kind, making it usable in any FDTD solver (I think openEMS has a model using Virtual Family data), or as an interpolation function of sorts dumped into COMSOL.

Another option I've come across is the Visible Man Project from the National Library of Medicine. Some publications on human exposure seem to create voxel data for the human body based off of these Visible Man images, and then use that 3D grid in FDTD simulations.

I'm just curious if anyone has experience with the Virtual Family data set, or other such data sets for modeling human exposure to electric and magnetic fields, and if anyone has found a set that is well-suited for use in COMSOL.

2 Replies Last Post 30 janv. 2015, 07:10 UTC−5

Posted: 10 years ago 19 sept. 2014, 19:37 UTC−4
Hmm, also found this one:
www.simpleware.com/services/model-generation.html

They primarily generate models, but they say they also have human body models available.
Hmm, also found this one: http://www.simpleware.com/services/model-generation.html They primarily generate models, but they say they also have human body models available.

Posted: 9 years ago 30 janv. 2015, 07:10 UTC−5
Just to follow up on this, we have a sister site, www.humanbodymodels.com/ where you can find more information on our models-as-a-service.

We've also done some work with FEKO on EM simulation using human body models. Case study here: simpleware.com/industries/medical-and-dental/case-study-simpleware-and-feko.html

Best,

Gareth
Simpleware Ltd.
Just to follow up on this, we have a sister site, http://www.humanbodymodels.com/ where you can find more information on our models-as-a-service. We've also done some work with FEKO on EM simulation using human body models. Case study here: http://simpleware.com/industries/medical-and-dental/case-study-simpleware-and-feko.html Best, Gareth Simpleware Ltd.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.