Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Graded Index Waveguide

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,
I'm trying to model a graded Index Waveguide (for instance a diffused waeguide) in Comsol 4.4.
I'm was more familiar with Comsol 3.5 where I could enter the expression for my graded index profile and then simulate my modes.
I've tried to do the same thing in 4.4 defining a new material and entering the expression in the refractive Index tab.
But I can see that it doesn't work.
Do you have any clue on how to do it?
Moreover is there any way to open the file generated with 3.5?
Thank you.
Best,
Domenico

1 Reply Last Post 2 sept. 2014, 04:29 UTC−4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago 2 sept. 2014, 04:29 UTC−4
I don't know if can be of any help but I solved the problem and now I'm able to compute the mode of my graded index waveguide.

What I did was: defining an analitic function in the material node.
ex. index= erfc(Wx[1/um]-x)+erf(Wx[1/um]+x)*exp(-(y/D[1/um])^2) with arguments x,y

I noted that if I don't put [1/um] it doesn't work.

Then in the refractive index property tab I've entered index(x,y).
Done
I don't know if can be of any help but I solved the problem and now I'm able to compute the mode of my graded index waveguide. What I did was: defining an analitic function in the material node. ex. index= erfc(Wx[1/um]-x)+erf(Wx[1/um]+x)*exp(-(y/D[1/um])^2) with arguments x,y I noted that if I don't put [1/um] it doesn't work. Then in the refractive index property tab I've entered index(x,y). Done

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.