Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Magnetic resonance

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I´m new in COMSOL and I´m trying to simulate a cilinder of air where is applied a costant 7T magnetic field. I´m in doubt about the best physics model to use in this simulation: mfnc, mf or mef. I tried all of them, defining the magnetic field along the cilynder axis, and when I use the mef model an electric voltage and inducted currents appear in the air cilynder. I´m not sure that such result is correct, because the air is a good insulation, and there should not be any current or electric potential because I have no eletric charges or variations in the magnetic flux. The other two models do not show any induced current, but they do not use all the Maxwell equation and I guess they shoul be incomplete in term of physical description.

Can you help me? Which is the best model I can use? Im´using COMSOL 4.2 version

Thank you, Vito

2 Replies Last Post 30 août 2014, 05:42 UTC−4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 10 years ago 29 août 2014, 15:00 UTC−4
Vito,

for just a constant field you can use mfnc. But maybe you want to do more and then it really depends on your application.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Vito, for just a constant field you can use mfnc. But maybe you want to do more and then it really depends on your application. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 10 years ago 30 août 2014, 05:42 UTC−4
Hi Edgar, thank you for your answer.

Actually, I need to put some components inside the cilynder, and they are composed of different materials. like copper, silicon crystals, etc. I want to see the effects of these components on the magnetic field, since the magnetic field is alterated by the iteraction with currents.

This is why I am in doubt about the corret model. I should keep in count the possible currents induced by the magnetic field (this means using the mef or mf model) but the mef model shows currents in the air cilynder and it is not possible...

I hope to be explaned better now, thanks for all the suggestions you could give me.

Best regards,
Vito
Hi Edgar, thank you for your answer. Actually, I need to put some components inside the cilynder, and they are composed of different materials. like copper, silicon crystals, etc. I want to see the effects of these components on the magnetic field, since the magnetic field is alterated by the iteraction with currents. This is why I am in doubt about the corret model. I should keep in count the possible currents induced by the magnetic field (this means using the mef or mf model) but the mef model shows currents in the air cilynder and it is not possible... I hope to be explaned better now, thanks for all the suggestions you could give me. Best regards, Vito

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.