Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

ion creation rate does not fit ion outflow in stationary state

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hej,

I am computing a model with the DC discharge interface. I have a constant Tritium density (background gas). The tritium is decaying to T+ and e-. (There is also recobination). To verify then calculations I tested the continuity equation and if the outgoing ion (electron) current density equals the integral of the generated ions (electrons). I have done this test with convection (flow of the background gas) and without. For electrons in both cases continuity equation as well as outflow equals creation rate is fine. Without convection this is also the case for ions. However implementing convection I have a much to high ion outflow current density (ca. 6.5e-5 A/m^2) compared to the resulting created current density (ca. 1e-5 A/m ^2) althought this is a stationary state...
So it seems there are additional ions created or something like that...
I attached the 1D model of the problem.

I hope somebody can help me.

Thanks
Laura

0 Replies Last Post 5 août 2014, 06:04 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Laura Kuckert

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.