Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

[3.5a] Dealing with units

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all.
I'm using Comsol 3.5a (PDE, Weak form) to deal with some mechanical problem, and beside some other issues with wich I'll deal later (such as moving mesh), I'm currently annoyed by the fact that I don't manage to get the units to work properly.

In spite of having all the constants set to a specific unit, all my scalar expressions have the same exasperating red brackets. It's not really a big issue and it does not stop the simulations.

I just hope the problem is not that I've missed some lines on the documentation, but I take it to be because I can't set the units of my problem variables (being u, v - displacement - and p - pressure). I really hope that's not a silly question, but do anyone know where to set those units (most likely m and Pa) ?
Thanks

Y.

3 Replies Last Post 13 avr. 2010, 09:56 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 avr. 2010, 09:51 UTC−4
Hi

the "red brakets" are warning that your units are inconsistent, which is easily the case if you mix boundary integration and other advanced features, as the units are not always correctly ported in v3.5a (we have to wait for V4 ;)

Just double check that it's correct, the results should be, if you are consistent with the variables

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi the "red brakets" are warning that your units are inconsistent, which is easily the case if you mix boundary integration and other advanced features, as the units are not always correctly ported in v3.5a (we have to wait for V4 ;) Just double check that it's correct, the results should be, if you are consistent with the variables Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 avr. 2010, 09:54 UTC−4
Thanks for the reply, I will wait until the v4 then :)
Thanks for the reply, I will wait until the v4 then :)

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 avr. 2010, 09:56 UTC−4
Whoops… It seems there is some bad login procedure on my computer
Whoops… It seems there is some bad login procedure on my computer

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.