Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Creating domains out of the empty space of imported objects.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am importing a Solidworks assembly using the CAD Import module.

The assembly basically has a reservoir for gas and some tubes. When I import it into COMSOL, the internal empty spaces from the assembly are not a domain. I have no idea how to convert that into a domain.

The reason I need a domain is because I want to have a line power source. I created a Bezier polygon, basically a line, just like in the cylinder tutorial in the acoustics module, and I cannot select it as a line source. Every edge of my assembly can be selected, but not the Bezier polygon. As far as I can tell, this is due to the line not being connected to any domain. It's just free-floating in the internal void of my assembly.

Now, I did try to import the assembly, subtract it from a solid block to get only the internals, but that way I need to know the exact dimensions of my part, otherwise I get left with bits and pieces of the original solid block that weren't subtracted. And if I have to look up all the dimensions, then that defeats the purpose of simply importing an assembly.

Any help would be appreciated.

2 Replies Last Post 17 juil. 2014, 14:05 UTC−4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 juil. 2014, 11:14 UTC−4
Hello Thomas,
It sounds like the capability you're looking for is "Cap Faces". See my posting at this link: www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/32396 .
I hope it helps.
Best,
Jeff
Hello Thomas, It sounds like the capability you're looking for is "Cap Faces". See my posting at this link: http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/32396 . I hope it helps. Best, Jeff

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 juil. 2014, 14:05 UTC−4
Indeed. I found out about that a short while after posting this. Everything works fine now. :-)
Indeed. I found out about that a short while after posting this. Everything works fine now. :-)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.