Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Drop Test Simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am a Mechanical Engineering graduate student and I wish to simulate drop test of a human head form.

I have a few questions which I have enlisted below:
Can this kind of explicit dynamic simulation be carried out in COMSOL?
Which package supports this kind of simulation?
Is any specific license (Research/Academic, etc.) required?
Can we import a meshed geometry (model is meshed in Hypermesh) directly into COMSOL for analysis?

It would be of a great help if anybody could guide me on these.

Thanks,
Chandrika

1 Reply Last Post 21 oct. 2014, 06:12 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Chandrika Abhang

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago 21 oct. 2014, 06:12 UTC−4

Yes Chandrika: dynamic simulations can be done with COMSOL Multiphysics, but beware: this is done using an implicit time solver. This means that very high speed or high strain-rate simulations may be done with care and will be limited to subsonic velocities.

Sorry: no hypervelocity asteroid crash model available so far ;-)

There is no problem however for viscoelasticity (transient or harmonic loading) or low-to-moderate velocity impact for elastic or elasto-plastic materials.
A few published examples:

www.comsol.com/paper/impact-simulation-of-extreme-wind-generated-missiles-on-radioactive-waste-storag-15492

www.comsol.com/paper/simulation-of-impact-damage-in-a-composite-plate-and-its-detection-13003

For a simple example of the Mesh Import feature, please check out this model :

www.comsol.com/model/eigenvalue-analysis-of-a-crankshaft-986

--
www.comsol.fr
Yes Chandrika: dynamic simulations can be done with COMSOL Multiphysics, but beware: this is done using an implicit time solver. This means that very high speed or high strain-rate simulations may be done with care and will be limited to subsonic velocities. Sorry: no hypervelocity asteroid crash model available so far ;-) There is no problem however for viscoelasticity (transient or harmonic loading) or low-to-moderate velocity impact for elastic or elasto-plastic materials. A few published examples: http://www.comsol.com/paper/impact-simulation-of-extreme-wind-generated-missiles-on-radioactive-waste-storag-15492 http://www.comsol.com/paper/simulation-of-impact-damage-in-a-composite-plate-and-its-detection-13003 For a simple example of the Mesh Import feature, please check out this model : http://www.comsol.com/model/eigenvalue-analysis-of-a-crankshaft-986 -- www.comsol.fr

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.