Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Microgenerator Coil Current Help Plz!!

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hy dear Comsol users!!!

Anyone please have a view of the attached file (a simple microgenerator) and suggest me steps for the calculation of CURRENT in circular coil (preferably in Amperes or current density) and afterwards POWER in Watts. voltage is calculated here. I found this from a blog, in mine case coil is moving.

Problem which I am getting in attached file is a straight line at zero in plots section when i use coil current step.

I am in too much trouble because of my course project, kindly someone give me the favor, your few minutes can be greatly helpful for me.
Thanking you in anticipation.
Best Wishes and waiting for any kind help.
Catalina

5 Replies Last Post 4 juin 2014, 10:39 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 mai 2014, 07:12 UTC−4
In "Multi-Turn Coil 1" you set the coil current to be zero, so it is zero.

Regards

Jens
In "Multi-Turn Coil 1" you set the coil current to be zero, so it is zero. Regards Jens

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 mai 2014, 07:27 UTC−4
Immense thanks Jens for your kind response but since this is a case of microgenerator, as you can see the voltage is induced in coil. The end result I want is that "How much Power in Watts can be generated by the microgenerator" or can u please attach a file for my concept in which this type of task is done.

Secondly I put the value of current to zero by considering that its the case of micro-generator. If I use some value of current, that mean it will act as a motor.

Regards.
Immense thanks Jens for your kind response but since this is a case of microgenerator, as you can see the voltage is induced in coil. The end result I want is that "How much Power in Watts can be generated by the microgenerator" or can u please attach a file for my concept in which this type of task is done. Secondly I put the value of current to zero by considering that its the case of micro-generator. If I use some value of current, that mean it will act as a motor. Regards.

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 mai 2014, 18:48 UTC−4
Hy!!

Still waiting for the help please. Your few minutes can take me out of this mess... :'(

Best Wishes.
Hy!! Still waiting for the help please. Your few minutes can take me out of this mess... :'( Best Wishes.

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 juin 2014, 03:14 UTC−4
Hallo Catalina,

you must consider how the multi-coil is connected to the outer word. It
really make the difference.

For instance if the coil is open, no current is flowing and your simulation
will give you as a result the induced voltage. This is the case in the mph-file
that you uploaded (which set current = 0).

The other extreme is to short-circuit the coil, this is done by setting voltage = 0
for the multi-coil. Then your simulation result is current.

If the circuit is more complex (I guess you have load in there) then you need
to include that in you simulation. Comsol can solve coupled systems with
finite elements and circuit.

How does the circuit look like in your case?

Regards

Jens
Hallo Catalina, you must consider how the multi-coil is connected to the outer word. It really make the difference. For instance if the coil is open, no current is flowing and your simulation will give you as a result the induced voltage. This is the case in the mph-file that you uploaded (which set current = 0). The other extreme is to short-circuit the coil, this is done by setting voltage = 0 for the multi-coil. Then your simulation result is current. If the circuit is more complex (I guess you have load in there) then you need to include that in you simulation. Comsol can solve coupled systems with finite elements and circuit. How does the circuit look like in your case? Regards Jens

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 juin 2014, 10:39 UTC−4
Thanks a lot lot dear Jens.

I was also thinking that without any load I can't get any value of current and you confirmed that. Thanks a lot for removing my confusion.

I am working on a generalized harvestor which can power any of the Ultra Low Power Mems Sensors, Circuit or any Microelectronics. In output I want Power or Power Density or such results related to generalized harvestor.

For overview: If you just view Table 1 in the paper:

Microelectromechanical systems vibration powered electromagnetic generator for wireless sensor applications Koukharenko Beeby Tudor

Although paper is a bit complex but I just have to go for the simple case, probably attaching any micro-sensor (since I dont have have the sensor in practical, also please suggest what load I should attach) and check the value of CURRENT and POWER corresponding to that. Since my concern is not to fabricate the device and check the results practically, I just have to simulate it.

I didn't imagine before taking that project that it is going to be so complex... :(

Or if you already have any .mph file for any case, can u please attach it here, since I feel I am taking too much time of yours.
Thanks again for your help and probably only help I am getting from someone.

Regards
Thanks a lot lot dear Jens. I was also thinking that without any load I can't get any value of current and you confirmed that. Thanks a lot for removing my confusion. I am working on a generalized harvestor which can power any of the Ultra Low Power Mems Sensors, Circuit or any Microelectronics. In output I want Power or Power Density or such results related to generalized harvestor. For overview: If you just view Table 1 in the paper: Microelectromechanical systems vibration powered electromagnetic generator for wireless sensor applications Koukharenko Beeby Tudor Although paper is a bit complex but I just have to go for the simple case, probably attaching any micro-sensor (since I dont have have the sensor in practical, also please suggest what load I should attach) and check the value of CURRENT and POWER corresponding to that. Since my concern is not to fabricate the device and check the results practically, I just have to simulate it. I didn't imagine before taking that project that it is going to be so complex... :( Or if you already have any .mph file for any case, can u please attach it here, since I feel I am taking too much time of yours. Thanks again for your help and probably only help I am getting from someone. Regards

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.