Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to make your own PML

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Does anyone know how to correctly make your own PML in comsol using Matlab? I know that 3 important parameters are 1. alpha which is the absorption coefficient of the layer, 2. the distance between the last ring and the PML region, and 3. the thickness of the PML layer. I know that you must change one by one these parameters in order to converge to a loss value. For example, change the distance between the last ring and the PML from 0 to 100 micrometers, and you will see that the loss converge to a value and then do the same with the other parameters.
My problem is that I am not experienced in Matlab so I don't know how to write this loop into a code that will work in Comsol. Any ideas for implementing this?

Thanks in advance

3 Replies Last Post 8 avr. 2010, 18:44 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 avr. 2010, 01:57 UTC−4
What does it mean by the PML? I have first time heard this terminology, Can you explain it a bit?
What does it mean by the PML? I have first time heard this terminology, Can you explain it a bit?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 avr. 2010, 02:16 UTC−4
Hi
PML or "Perfectly Matched Layers"

take a look at the doc in the RF (or accoutics I beleive), it is special elements that "tend to extend its etendue to infinity" by a mathematical artefact, such to damp and absorb any energy entering, to avoid parasitic reflexions

have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi PML or "Perfectly Matched Layers" take a look at the doc in the RF (or accoutics I beleive), it is special elements that "tend to extend its etendue to infinity" by a mathematical artefact, such to damp and absorb any energy entering, to avoid parasitic reflexions have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 avr. 2010, 18:44 UTC−4
Neal,

Why don't you create a simple PML in COMSOL first and take a look at the MATLAB code it generates?

cheers,
Prateek
Neal, Why don't you create a simple PML in COMSOL first and take a look at the MATLAB code it generates? cheers, Prateek

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.