Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

About 3D very thin geometry meshing problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have just wanted to see the thin membrane free vibration in COMSOL 4.4. I have tried to use Solid Mechnics module and Membrane module . I think I have set the physics properly, then meshed , I think the meshing is also ok because no error there , it gives me good mesh. However, as I give compute order then it gives me the ' Singular Matrix ' error . it says there are some number of void equation .
It seems I did not have good quality of meshing for this thin geometry.

I have read ' Membrane Vibration ' module in the Module Library. But I did not solved this ' singular matrix ' error. I have attached the file , I hope someone could give me hints or suggestion.
thank you

Abdu

1 Reply Last Post 28 avr. 2014, 02:23 UTC−4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 avr. 2014, 02:23 UTC−4
Hi,

A membrane model without pre-stress is always singular. In the initial configuration there is only in-plane stiffness.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, A membrane model without pre-stress is always singular. In the initial configuration there is only in-plane stiffness. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.