Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Boundary condition for "Heat conduction between two contacting surface"

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi , i am working on a problem but stuck at applying a boundary condition that will allow Heat conduction between two contacting surface. I am not able to locate which boundary condition in Heat transfer in Solid physic will replicate this boundary condition.
Thank you for your time.

8 Replies Last Post 19 avr. 2014, 02:07 UTC−4
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 avr. 2014, 15:43 UTC−4
Jatin,

Seems you are looking for "Thermal Contact" boundary condition. There is example from Comsol model library featuring this type of boundary condition:

www.comsol.com/model/simulation-of-multiphysics-contact-in-a-power-conductor-4119

Regards,
Sergei
Jatin, Seems you are looking for "Thermal Contact" boundary condition. There is example from Comsol model library featuring this type of boundary condition: http://www.comsol.com/model/simulation-of-multiphysics-contact-in-a-power-conductor-4119 Regards, Sergei

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 avr. 2014, 05:27 UTC−4

Jatin,

Seems you are looking for "Thermal Contact" boundary condition. There is example from Comsol model library featuring this type of boundary condition:

www.comsol.com/model/simulation-of-multiphysics-contact-in-a-power-conductor-4119

Regards,
Sergei

Thank you Sergei. I am not at all able to see anything like "Pair Thermal Contact" in pair boundary condition after right clicking on "Heat Transfer in Solid(ht) " . I am attaching screen shot of that, please have a look in it.
Thank you

[QUOTE] Jatin, Seems you are looking for "Thermal Contact" boundary condition. There is example from Comsol model library featuring this type of boundary condition: http://www.comsol.com/model/simulation-of-multiphysics-contact-in-a-power-conductor-4119 Regards, Sergei [/QUOTE] Thank you Sergei. I am not at all able to see anything like "Pair Thermal Contact" in pair boundary condition after right clicking on "Heat Transfer in Solid(ht) " . I am attaching screen shot of that, please have a look in it. Thank you

Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 avr. 2014, 08:15 UTC−4
Jatin,

It should be available since 4.3 in Heat Transfer modulus – check your version and licenses.

Regards,
Sergei
Jatin, It should be available since 4.3 in Heat Transfer modulus – check your version and licenses. Regards, Sergei

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 avr. 2014, 07:23 UTC−4
I checked my license , its nothing wrong with it, And the version is 4.3b in our university. I am attaching screen shot of it.
I checked my license , its nothing wrong with it, And the version is 4.3b in our university. I am attaching screen shot of it.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 avr. 2014, 07:46 UTC−4
Hi Jatin,
What Sergei is saying is that your license may not include the optional Heat Transfer Module (as opposed to just the basic capabilities for heat transfer analysis that come with the core COMSOL Multiphysics). To determine that in version 4.3b, you need to go to the Options menu and select Licenses. A new window will show you what modules you license includes.
Best,
Jeff

PS: In version 4.4 the same info is found under File> Licensed and Used Products.
Hi Jatin, What Sergei is saying is that your license may not include the optional Heat Transfer Module (as opposed to just the basic capabilities for heat transfer analysis that come with the core COMSOL Multiphysics). To determine that in version 4.3b, you need to go to the Options menu and select Licenses. A new window will show you what modules you license includes. Best, Jeff PS: In version 4.4 the same info is found under File> Licensed and Used Products.

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 avr. 2014, 09:16 UTC−4

Hi Jatin,
What Sergei is saying is that your license may not include the optional Heat Transfer Module (as opposed to just the basic capabilities for heat transfer analysis that come with the core COMSOL Multiphysics). To determine that in version 4.3b, you need to go to the Options menu and select Licenses. A new window will show you what modules you license includes.
Best,
Jeff

PS: In version 4.4 the same info is found under File> Licensed and Used Products.

Hmm , that may be the problem as i am not able to correctly find out the products for which we have license. ( i am screenshot of it , may be you can tell me). Ok if that is the case then can you tell me any alternative way to complete the job given in the absence of the this boundary condition.
thank you Jeff.

[QUOTE] Hi Jatin, What Sergei is saying is that your license may not include the optional Heat Transfer Module (as opposed to just the basic capabilities for heat transfer analysis that come with the core COMSOL Multiphysics). To determine that in version 4.3b, you need to go to the Options menu and select Licenses. A new window will show you what modules you license includes. Best, Jeff PS: In version 4.4 the same info is found under File> Licensed and Used Products. [/QUOTE] Hmm , that may be the problem as i am not able to correctly find out the products for which we have license. ( i am screenshot of it , may be you can tell me). Ok if that is the case then can you tell me any alternative way to complete the job given in the absence of the this boundary condition. thank you Jeff.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 avr. 2014, 11:46 UTC−4
Indeed, the screenshot shows that you do not have the Heat Transfer Module on that license. Please contact your COMSOL representative to discuss adding it to the license.
Best,
Jeff
Indeed, the screenshot shows that you do not have the Heat Transfer Module on that license. Please contact your COMSOL representative to discuss adding it to the license. Best, Jeff

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 avr. 2014, 02:07 UTC−4

Indeed, the screenshot shows that you do not have the Heat Transfer Module on that license. Please contact your COMSOL representative to discuss adding it to the license.
Best,
Jeff

Thanks for confirming it Jeff. Can you confirm whether that boundary condition is available in basic functionality of COMSOL Multiphysics version 4.4 or not?
[QUOTE] Indeed, the screenshot shows that you do not have the Heat Transfer Module on that license. Please contact your COMSOL representative to discuss adding it to the license. Best, Jeff [/QUOTE] Thanks for confirming it Jeff. Can you confirm whether that boundary condition is available in basic functionality of COMSOL Multiphysics version 4.4 or not?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.