Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Value type of the control variable in the Optimization interface through LiveLink for Matlab

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I'm working with the optimization interface through LiveLink for Matlab. I would like to know how to specify the value type of the control variable.

The dependent variables in my problem are complex; and in the L2 norm of the misfit function I use the abs value of them. The control variable is real.
In the Optimization Module User's Guide/ Theory for the sensitivity interface/Issues to consider Regarding the Objective Function there is some comment on complex-valued objective functions: 'Sensitivity analysis can be applied only when the objective function is a real-valued differentiable function of the control variables.' ; I suppose this also applies when using the optimization interface; and they recommend to treat the real and imaginary part separately if this is not the case (the objective function is not real-valued differentiable).
Following these issues, I split the real and imaginary parts:

model.sol('sol1').feature('st1').set('splitcomplex​', 'on');

and I also specify the complex character of the dependent variables,

model.physics('pde1_1').prop('ShapeProperty').set(​'valueType', 1, 'complex');

But then a complex character is also applied to the control variable.
If I use the same command to specify the real character of the control variable: model.physics('opt1').feature('cvar1').set('valueType', 1, 'real'); the Livelink for Matlab does not recognize it. Is there some command to specify the value type of the control variable?

Thank you.

0 Replies Last Post 15 avr. 2014, 12:30 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Savitri Galiana

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.