Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

significant reflection from PML boundary of different materials

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have a problem implementing PML boundary for my model. I'm doing an EM frequency domain solution and I have a Gaussian source of 780 nm in wavelength propagating in air incident on 5 microns thick silicon. The rectangular simulation region is enclosed with 2 x wavelength thick PML region. I have the materials for the PML region behind the silicon slab set as silicon as well. The meshings are wavelength/32 for Silicon region (including the PML behind it) and wavelength/16 for everything else. For some reason I still get standing wave inside the silicon although it is absorbed by the PML. I tried messing with the scaling factor but it does not do anything. Does anybody know a way around this problem? I'm aware that increasing the silicon thickness to the point of complete absorption will solve this, but it is not an option due to limited memory (besides silicon at 780nm has a very large absorption depth).

I also tried with setting the whole simulation region's material to silicon, and it still shows reflection in the PML boundary. It seems like the PML region does not work for different materials rather than air.

I also attached the file for the simulation setup.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Rico

1 Reply Last Post 26 avr. 2014, 17:13 UTC−4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 avr. 2014, 17:13 UTC−4
Guys, if you're having the same problem as me and can't find a solution yet you can try to work around it by creating a simple anti-reflective coating layer, which is a gradient refractive index ranging your materials' n to air n=1. This will decrease reflection coefficient from the discontinuity. It works well enough for my application. Hope this helps.
Guys, if you're having the same problem as me and can't find a solution yet you can try to work around it by creating a simple anti-reflective coating layer, which is a gradient refractive index ranging your materials' n to air n=1. This will decrease reflection coefficient from the discontinuity. It works well enough for my application. Hope this helps.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.