Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Issue with Periodic Ports in 3D COMSOL Model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear friends,
I recently had an issue when trying to simulate a 3D periodic stucture , which shows a small number of diffraction orders, both in COMSOL 4.3 and 4.4. The problem was when defining the periodic port for excitation. Before simulating my structure I followed the guidelines on this page:

www.comsol.com/blogs/modeling-electromagnetic-waves-periodic-structures/

The error message which I got was "Reference Point on Periodic Port needs to be defined properly". Such message popped out when running the model and also when trying to "compute diffraction orders", from an option that COMSOL provides for periodic ports.

At my input periodic port I defined my angles as follows:
elevation angle: 0
azimuth angle: 0

At the output periodic port I defined my angles as follows:
elevation angle: 0
azimuth angle: pi/2

It would be great if someone could help me on this since it is project I need to provide results ASAP.

I appreciate your help beforehand,
Nick

2 Replies Last Post 26 juin 2014, 18:44 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 avr. 2014, 18:21 UTC−4
Dear all,
it would be great if someone could give me some advice on this, even though he/she might not have simulated a similar structure before. Any recommendations are welcome!

Thanks again,
Nick
Dear all, it would be great if someone could give me some advice on this, even though he/she might not have simulated a similar structure before. Any recommendations are welcome! Thanks again, Nick

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 juin 2014, 18:44 UTC−4
Hi,

I'm quite new to comsol and I just had the same issue you did. I had two ports on opposing sides of a cube, and I set both of them to periodic. To choose a periodic port reference point right click on the port and follow the menu to a new periodic port reference point. Just define one point as the reference point for EACH port. I set up my two reference points I needed as they did in the link you attached.

www.comsol.com/blogs/modeling-electromagnetic-waves-periodic-structures/

Also, thanks for your post. It was able to help me to figure it out for myself.

Dan
Hi, I'm quite new to comsol and I just had the same issue you did. I had two ports on opposing sides of a cube, and I set both of them to periodic. To choose a periodic port reference point right click on the port and follow the menu to a new periodic port reference point. Just define one point as the reference point for EACH port. I set up my two reference points I needed as they did in the link you attached. http://www.comsol.com/blogs/modeling-electromagnetic-waves-periodic-structures/ Also, thanks for your post. It was able to help me to figure it out for myself. Dan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.