Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2D-Axisymmetry not considered for domain probes in the calculation "Average" or "Integral"?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Is the 2D-axisymmetry not considered in the calculation of domain probes?

I learned, that I had to check the checkbox "Compute Integral in revolved geometry" when I wanted to calculate the correct average or integral with Component/Definitions/Component Couplings/Average.

But I didn't find the checkbox "Compute Integral in revolved geometry" in Component/Definitions/Probes/Domain Probes

8 Replies Last Post 5 déc. 2014, 02:23 UTC−5

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 mars 2014, 04:33 UTC−4
I think the integration does not consider the 2D axisymmetry. When I do the integration, I need to add the factor 2*pi*r manually.

Best!
--
Pu, ZHANG
DTU Fotonik
I think the integration does not consider the 2D axisymmetry. When I do the integration, I need to add the factor 2*pi*r manually. Best! -- Pu, ZHANG DTU Fotonik

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 mars 2014, 05:44 UTC−4
I would consider the the results as erroneous, as it was defined during the models start, that we model a 2D-axisymmetric body. The modeling respects this 3dimensionality. But this probe does not. And there is no hint, that it calculates a different integral.
So as long as You don't control the results with an analytical approach and find they are wrong, You expect they are correct, what is misleading.
I would consider the the results as erroneous, as it was defined during the models start, that we model a 2D-axisymmetric body. The modeling respects this 3dimensionality. But this probe does not. And there is no hint, that it calculates a different integral. So as long as You don't control the results with an analytical approach and find they are wrong, You expect they are correct, what is misleading.

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 mars 2014, 14:44 UTC−4
I don’t know why COMSOL does not offer the “Compute Integral in Revolved Geometry” check box for Probes as it offers it for Integration Couplings. There are two very simple workarounds. The first is to multiply the integrated expression by 2*pi*r manually as stated above. The other is to define an Integration operator, select the revolved geometry option and use that integration operator in your Probe.

If in doubt about whether COMSOL is accounting for the revolved geometry automatically or not check the units reported by COMSOL for the Probe.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
I don’t know why COMSOL does not offer the “Compute Integral in Revolved Geometry” check box for Probes as it offers it for Integration Couplings. There are two very simple workarounds. The first is to multiply the integrated expression by 2*pi*r manually as stated above. The other is to define an Integration operator, select the revolved geometry option and use that integration operator in your Probe. If in doubt about whether COMSOL is accounting for the revolved geometry automatically or not check the units reported by COMSOL for the Probe. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 mars 2014, 11:53 UTC−4
The integral and average probes indeed lack options for computing surface and volume integrals in 1D and 2D axisymmetry, respectively. We will add this in the next release.

In the meantime, use either of the workarounds suggested by Nagi.
The integral and average probes indeed lack options for computing surface and volume integrals in 1D and 2D axisymmetry, respectively. We will add this in the next release. In the meantime, use either of the workarounds suggested by Nagi.

Ximena Paz Barrios Pizarro

Posted: 10 years ago 3 déc. 2014, 16:16 UTC−5
Hi
Do you know if this problem has been solved in COMSOL 5.0?

And it hasn't, what I have to do touso the workaround suggested by Nagi??

Thank you!

Hi Do you know if this problem has been solved in COMSOL 5.0? And it hasn't, what I have to do touso the workaround suggested by Nagi?? Thank you!

Posted: 10 years ago 4 déc. 2014, 02:20 UTC−5
Do you know if this problem has been solved in COMSOL 5.0?

Yes, this functionality is available in 5.0.

[QUOTE]Do you know if this problem has been solved in COMSOL 5.0?[/QUOTE] Yes, this functionality is available in 5.0.

Ximena Paz Barrios Pizarro

Posted: 10 years ago 4 déc. 2014, 12:11 UTC−5
Hi,

I tried to use it yesterday, but it didn't work.
Do I have to do something else?
Hi, I tried to use it yesterday, but it didn't work. Do I have to do something else?

Posted: 10 years ago 5 déc. 2014, 02:23 UTC−5
I tried to use it yesterday, but it didn't work.

Can you elaborate on what you did and what happened? Maybe you should contact COMSOL Support.

[QUOTE]I tried to use it yesterday, but it didn't work. [/QUOTE] Can you elaborate on what you did and what happened? Maybe you should contact COMSOL Support.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.