Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

FSI Module for blood vessel simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm trying to implement a very basic 2D axisymmetric model of a blood vessel (straight tube) using the FSI module as I'm interested in getting a wall deformation profile. The problem is that my model always fails with the following error:

"Failed to find consistent initial values.
Segregated group 2

Attempt to evaluate real square root of negative number."

I have tried finer meshes and get the same error message. My suspicion is that the BC are not correct. For example I am unsure as to how I should define the Boundary Load on the FSI Boundary. At the inlet I would really only like to specify the pressure using the piecewise function that creates a pressure pulse.

Would someone with more experience with the FSI module be able to help me?

Thank you
Alexandra

3 Replies Last Post 12 mars 2015, 17:39 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Alexandra Diem

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 avr. 2014, 12:21 UTC−4
Were you able to find a fix for this? I'm literally working on the same problem and get the same error every time lol.
Were you able to find a fix for this? I'm literally working on the same problem and get the same error every time lol.

Posted: 9 years ago 9 mars 2015, 06:42 UTC−4
Have you solved your problem? I am working on a similar model and facing similar situation atm :(
I also had similar errors at the beginning but then I changed the initial conditions and I now have a different error msg....
Have you solved your problem? I am working on a similar model and facing similar situation atm :( I also had similar errors at the beginning but then I changed the initial conditions and I now have a different error msg....

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 9 years ago 12 mars 2015, 17:39 UTC−4
You need a boundary condition at the bottom of the fluid domain. If for example you assign the bottom boundary to the “Open Boundary 1” node the model works for a little then fails to converge, so there is something else wrong. Also there is nothing fixing the blood vessel displacement in the vertical direction.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
You need a boundary condition at the bottom of the fluid domain. If for example you assign the bottom boundary to the “Open Boundary 1” node the model works for a little then fails to converge, so there is something else wrong. Also there is nothing fixing the blood vessel displacement in the vertical direction. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.