Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Corona discharge modelling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

Im new to this community, so I hope I do this in the right manner.
Anyway, I am working on a simulation of corona discharge currents in a coaxial geometry. My model is a simple 1D symmetric, utilizing on side as the high voltage side and one side as ground.

The model is built around the electrostatics and diluted species physics, where electrostatics account for voltage potential, charge conservation and space charge density, and diluted species for convection and diffusion, reactions and fluxes.

In normal conditions, I get my model to behave as I want. In a next step I want to insert a barrier into the model. I do this by applying a new domain, give this domain new properties (relative permittivity).

For this, as I want to start out basic with no conduction in the barrier, I disable diluted species and charge density for the barrier.

The results for these simulations are not what I except. Has anyone done anything similar and have any ideas of how this can be solved?

Mainly, the problem is the extreme time the simulations take, specially when crossing zero line. Also problem is not reaching convergence.

0 Replies Last Post 10 févr. 2014, 04:26 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Martin Macken

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.