Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Extracting heat flux - 2D axisymmetric

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

This is probably a very simple problem, but I'm fairly new to working with this type of result. I have modeled a sphere (2D axisymmetric) and am using the conjugate heat transfer model in v. 4.3a. I have successfully finished my model and the results look good. What I'm trying to do now is match the total heat input (or flux) for my model to hand calculations I have already completed. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to set up the plot.

I was attempting to use a 2D edge that separates my solid sphere from my laminar fluid, and using that to plot the heat flux in W/m^2, but cannot seem to get that edge model to work properly, which seems to be the best way of going about it. With the stagnant sphere and moving fluid, the heat transfer at various points along the edge will be slightly different with eddy currents following the "falling" sphere, thus trying to work the 2D edge instead of a point.

The solution is transient, so I would need to get an integrated heat flux over the time period of the simulation. I have figured out how to get the heat flux for 1 point on the model, but not for the entire surface, which I assume I would then have to multiply by 4*Pi*r^2 to get my total heat input.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Mike

0 Replies Last Post 29 janv. 2014, 18:44 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Michael Baker

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.