Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solving four coupled differential equations

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

There's an energy equation I need to minimize. This equation is the first equation on this page: www.ee.ucl.ac.uk/~rjames/modelling/constant-order/oned/

However if you follow that page then you realize that energy minimization problem ends up being four linear differential equations to solve. (The 7th set of equations on that page.)

Now, I can do this in Matlab, indeed that link above does it for the 1D case in Matlab. Now I want to get COMSOL to solve these four differential equations. I see that I can go New > 2D > Global ODEs and DAEs > Global Equation, and I can enter differential equation here, but this is a differential equation of one variable, f(u,ut,utt,t), not a set of coupled differential equations. How do I enter four coupled differential equations and have matlab solve them on some mesh?

Is there some tutorial online for how to solve coupled differential equations on 2D or 3D meshes? I fail to find one.

Thanks.

P.S. if you are interested, I'm trying to solve the "director" distribution in a liquid crystal (LC) sandwich.
"Director" is the unit vector that describes which direction the LC molecules point at any given point.
By "sandwich" I mean, glass-LC-glass, and I'm drawing a 2D slice through this and trying to solve the director distribution at each mesh point.

3 Replies Last Post 20 août 2014, 05:17 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 janv. 2014, 10:15 UTC−5
Also, is it generally true that to solve energy minimization problems of some physics over some area or volume, that you must convert it to coupled differential equations?

Searching "comsol energy minimization" etc yielded no general approaches nor specific code examples...
Also, is it generally true that to solve energy minimization problems of some physics over some area or volume, that you must convert it to coupled differential equations? Searching "comsol energy minimization" etc yielded no general approaches nor specific code examples...

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 févr. 2014, 17:14 UTC−5
dnh37,
I attach a simple file derived from a SHG example solution that shows laser pulse propagating through a sample. In the sample I introduce two coupled differential equations that represent excitation to an excited state (NS1) and relaxation back to the ground state (NS0). Additional coupled equations can be added.
dnh37, I attach a simple file derived from a SHG example solution that shows laser pulse propagating through a sample. In the sample I introduce two coupled differential equations that represent excitation to an excited state (NS1) and relaxation back to the ground state (NS0). Additional coupled equations can be added.

Posted: 10 years ago 20 août 2014, 05:17 UTC−4
hi

dnh

if you had any break through, can u plz guide me on the same.

moreover i want to know how can i give variable inputs to the coefficients used in the differential equations.
hi dnh if you had any break through, can u plz guide me on the same. moreover i want to know how can i give variable inputs to the coefficients used in the differential equations.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.