Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Pulse input Rectangular Waveguide

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

Is it possible in comsol to give a pulse shape input to a port of rectangular waveguide as a power source.? Actually I want to heat a certain material inside a rectangular waveguide for some time (say for 0-10s) and after 10s (say for 10-20s) see its cooling behaviour, that how much the material retain its temperature after turning off the power.?? Just like the microwave oven Problem.

Is there something like this possible in comsol.??
Can someone open the discussion forum and help me.??

Thanks in advacne..

5 Replies Last Post 12 oct. 2016, 19:46 UTC−4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 janv. 2014, 12:23 UTC−5
Ten seconds is an eternity on a microwave time scale. From an RF perspective, you might as well solve the heat-input problem using the CW formulation. But even better, for a rectangular waveguide driven by a single mode, you can easily compute the heat dissipation in the waveguide walls analytically (see any good RF or electromagnetics textbook). So, if I were doing your problem, I'd solve only the thermal part of it using Comsol Multiphysics, while using an analytic expression for the RF heating term, as applied to the waveguide walls.
Ten seconds is an eternity on a microwave time scale. From an RF perspective, you might as well solve the heat-input problem using the CW formulation. But even better, for a rectangular waveguide driven by a single mode, you can easily compute the heat dissipation in the waveguide walls analytically (see any good RF or electromagnetics textbook). So, if I were doing your problem, I'd solve only the thermal part of it using Comsol Multiphysics, while using an analytic expression for the RF heating term, as applied to the waveguide walls.

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 janv. 2014, 23:44 UTC−5
Thanks for your Answer.

Actually I am new to Comsol.

what I am trying to do is, place a water filled cylinder tube inside a waveguide and apply a piecewise function as input power source to the input port of the waveguide.

My function is

0-5s = 10W
5-10s=0W

What i am trying is, to apply power for just 5s and see the rising temperature (initially 25 degC), and after 5s turning off the power to see how much time water filled tube or pipe will take to reach its initial temperature.??

Is something like this possible.?
Thanks for your Answer. Actually I am new to Comsol. what I am trying to do is, place a water filled cylinder tube inside a waveguide and apply a piecewise function as input power source to the input port of the waveguide. My function is 0-5s = 10W 5-10s=0W What i am trying is, to apply power for just 5s and see the rising temperature (initially 25 degC), and after 5s turning off the power to see how much time water filled tube or pipe will take to reach its initial temperature.?? Is something like this possible.?

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 janv. 2014, 23:44 UTC−5
Thanks for your Answer.

Actually I am new to Comsol.

what I am trying to do is, place a water filled cylinder tube inside a waveguide and apply a piecewise function as input power source to the input port of the waveguide.

My function is

0-5s = 10W
5-10s=0W

What i am trying is, to apply power for just 5s and see the rising temperature (initially 25 degC), and after 5s turning off the power to see how much time water filled tube or pipe will take to reach its initial temperature.??

Is something like this possible.?
Thanks for your Answer. Actually I am new to Comsol. what I am trying to do is, place a water filled cylinder tube inside a waveguide and apply a piecewise function as input power source to the input port of the waveguide. My function is 0-5s = 10W 5-10s=0W What i am trying is, to apply power for just 5s and see the rising temperature (initially 25 degC), and after 5s turning off the power to see how much time water filled tube or pipe will take to reach its initial temperature.?? Is something like this possible.?

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 janv. 2014, 11:00 UTC−5
OK, that's still similar. First compute the heating-rate of the water with the microwaves in cw (aka, frequency domain) mode. Then use that result to define your volumetric heating condition in a thermal model.
OK, that's still similar. First compute the heating-rate of the water with the microwaves in cw (aka, frequency domain) mode. Then use that result to define your volumetric heating condition in a thermal model.

Posted: 8 years ago 12 oct. 2016, 19:46 UTC−4
Hi, Avinash:

Now I have the similar situation like yours. How did you solve your question at that time?

Any help is appreciated.

- Chang
Hi, Avinash: Now I have the similar situation like yours. How did you solve your question at that time? Any help is appreciated. - Chang

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.