Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

To find mutual inductance and coupling coefficient

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all
I modelled a 3D spiral coil with two turns, of two different coil separated by distance. I applied the current density for the coils. I want to evaluate self inductance and mutual inductance between the coils then coupling coefficient. I evaluated self inductance by L= 2*Wm/I^2, where Wm is energy stored and I is current. Now i have to find the mutual inductance between the coils (as i done this using multiturn coil domain in 2D, but i dont have any idea how to use by in case of current density applied to coil as in global evaluation there is no inductance parameter ). I am attaching link here, as i can not attach model due to size

drive.google.com/file/d/0B7S7tMagjLw1OHk5SlNoTVQ5Qzg/edit?usp=sharing
--
kishore Naik Mude

4 Replies Last Post 3 déc. 2015, 18:44 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello kishore naik

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 9 years ago 3 déc. 2015, 11:42 UTC−5
Hello Kishore,

Have you find a solution to your problem? I'm trying to get similar results in COMSOL 4.4.

I want to compute the coupling coefficient between a single turn coil with a round cross section and a flat plate at frequencies between 50 kHz and 150 kHz. The plate and the coil have linear permeability. I built a 2D axisymmetric mf model where I used single turn coil domains for the coil and the plate. I imposed a 1A current in the coil and 0V in the plate.

I computed the mutual inducance using M = Vplate/(Icoil*omega*j) and the self inductances using the magnetic energy in the coil domain (L1) and in the plate domain (L2). I computed the induced voltage (Vplate) doing the volume integral of the vector potential (j*omega*int(mf.Aphi)/Area). I must do something wrong because the coupling coefficient I get is too small (k = 0.0001).

Any hints would be appreciate.

Mathieu Gendron
Hello Kishore, Have you find a solution to your problem? I'm trying to get similar results in COMSOL 4.4. I want to compute the coupling coefficient between a single turn coil with a round cross section and a flat plate at frequencies between 50 kHz and 150 kHz. The plate and the coil have linear permeability. I built a 2D axisymmetric mf model where I used single turn coil domains for the coil and the plate. I imposed a 1A current in the coil and 0V in the plate. I computed the mutual inducance using M = Vplate/(Icoil*omega*j) and the self inductances using the magnetic energy in the coil domain (L1) and in the plate domain (L2). I computed the induced voltage (Vplate) doing the volume integral of the vector potential (j*omega*int(mf.Aphi)/Area). I must do something wrong because the coupling coefficient I get is too small (k = 0.0001). Any hints would be appreciate. Mathieu Gendron

Posted: 9 years ago 3 déc. 2015, 11:50 UTC−5

HI Mathieu,
I found this, by just diving K= M/L (In My case LT and LR is same). What is distance between your coils. Just check current density, coil parameters you applied is correct or not.
--
kishore Naik Mude
HI Mathieu, I found this, by just diving K= M/L (In My case LT and LR is same). What is distance between your coils. Just check current density, coil parameters you applied is correct or not. -- kishore Naik Mude

Posted: 9 years ago 3 déc. 2015, 12:17 UTC−5
Hi Kishore,

Thank you for your quick answer. The distance between the coil and the plate vary between 1 and 10 mm, I expect k to be between 0.7 and 0.2. In my case, I don't think I can use k=M/L because the plate and the coil don't have the same self inductance.

Best regard,

Mathieu
Hi Kishore, Thank you for your quick answer. The distance between the coil and the plate vary between 1 and 10 mm, I expect k to be between 0.7 and 0.2. In my case, I don't think I can use k=M/L because the plate and the coil don't have the same self inductance. Best regard, Mathieu

Posted: 9 years ago 3 déc. 2015, 18:44 UTC−5
Hi Mathieu,
Perhaps the reason for the low inductance value is because the plate is in short circuit mode due to the application of V = 0V across it. The inductance value would then be the short circuit inductance as seen from the coil side. You can also cross check the value obtained with the energy method. Here,
0.5*L*I^2 = W (energy calculated over the entire volume)

Thanks,

Girish

Hello Kishore,

Have you find a solution to your problem? I'm trying to get similar results in COMSOL 4.4.

I want to compute the coupling coefficient between a single turn coil with a round cross section and a flat plate at frequencies between 50 kHz and 150 kHz. The plate and the coil have linear permeability. I built a 2D axisymmetric mf model where I used single turn coil domains for the coil and the plate. I imposed a 1A current in the coil and 0V in the plate.

I computed the mutual inducance using M = Vplate/(Icoil*omega*j) and the self inductances using the magnetic energy in the coil domain (L1) and in the plate domain (L2). I computed the induced voltage (Vplate) doing the volume integral of the vector potential (j*omega*int(mf.Aphi)/Area). I must do something wrong because the coupling coefficient I get is too small (k = 0.0001).

Any hints would be appreciate.

Mathieu Gendron

Hi Mathieu, Perhaps the reason for the low inductance value is because the plate is in short circuit mode due to the application of V = 0V across it. The inductance value would then be the short circuit inductance as seen from the coil side. You can also cross check the value obtained with the energy method. Here, 0.5*L*I^2 = W (energy calculated over the entire volume) Thanks, Girish . [QUOTE] Hello Kishore, Have you find a solution to your problem? I'm trying to get similar results in COMSOL 4.4. I want to compute the coupling coefficient between a single turn coil with a round cross section and a flat plate at frequencies between 50 kHz and 150 kHz. The plate and the coil have linear permeability. I built a 2D axisymmetric mf model where I used single turn coil domains for the coil and the plate. I imposed a 1A current in the coil and 0V in the plate. I computed the mutual inducance using M = Vplate/(Icoil*omega*j) and the self inductances using the magnetic energy in the coil domain (L1) and in the plate domain (L2). I computed the induced voltage (Vplate) doing the volume integral of the vector potential (j*omega*int(mf.Aphi)/Area). I must do something wrong because the coupling coefficient I get is too small (k = 0.0001). Any hints would be appreciate. Mathieu Gendron [/QUOTE]

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.