Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Port Definition in "Plasmonic Wire Grating" Model of COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Everybody,
In the solved model “Plasmonic Wire Grating” 6 Ports are defined for measuring different order of grating scattering.
I tried to remove Ports 3, 4, 5 and 6 just to measure T0 (abs(emw.S21)^2) and R0 (abs(emw.S11)^2) but to my surprise the answers for T0 and R0 changed!!!!
Any idea how it is possible?
Best Regards,
Maha

1 Reply Last Post 6 nov. 2014, 01:25 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Maha Hashemi

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago 6 nov. 2014, 01:25 UTC−5
Dear Maha,

Did you find the solution to your question?

BTW, I also have a question related to the Plasmonic wire grating. In COMSOL 4.3, for TM mode port 2 (page 20), it defines the Ex field to be the specular reflection of the refracted beam?
Ex = (-) cos(beta)*exp(-i*kbx*x) !!Notice that negative sign!!

Why? Port 2 is for transmission of the zero-order refraction. Why do I need to define it as its specular reflection?

Hope anyone can help. Many thanks~

Lu
Dear Maha, Did you find the solution to your question? BTW, I also have a question related to the Plasmonic wire grating. In COMSOL 4.3, for TM mode port 2 (page 20), it defines the Ex field to be the specular reflection of the refracted beam? Ex = (-) cos(beta)*exp(-i*kbx*x) !!Notice that negative sign!! Why? Port 2 is for transmission of the zero-order refraction. Why do I need to define it as its specular reflection? Hope anyone can help. Many thanks~ Lu

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.